Black MacBook - Cracked Screen and Broken Logic Board

Reaction score
Last fall, the screen on my beloved black Macbook cracked. I used it for a month or two after that since I could still somewhat see the screen and I definitely didn't have an extra $400 to cough up for that convenience at the time. Then one day, I went to turn it on and it stayed off. Nothing worked. I took it to an Apple store and they said the logic board had broke and a replacement would be just under what a new macbook would cost. I now have the newer Macbook and the broken black one is just sitting around. I have 2 questions - 1) how do I go about getting the information off of my old hard drive/how much would that cost? 2) Once I have gotten all the info off, how much do you think I could get for the broken Macbook? I'm not sure on the stats, I got it as is from the store - I know it had 160gb. I was going to take into a store, but I wanted to check online first so I wouldn't be getting ripped off. If ANYONE could help me with this, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
I repair macbooks, this will sell for about $220-250 on eBay, if you put an informative and concise advert on there someone will buy it. I hope this helps.

Reaction score
Last fall, the screen on my beloved black Macbook cracked. I used it for a month or two after that since I could still somewhat see the screen and I definitely didn't have an extra $400 to cough up for that convenience at the time. Then one day, I went to turn it on and it stayed off. Nothing worked. I took it to an Apple store and they said the logic board had broke and a replacement would be just under what a new macbook would cost. I now have the newer Macbook and the broken black one is just sitting around. I have 2 questions - 1) how do I go about getting the information off of my old hard drive/how much would that cost? 2) Once I have gotten all the info off, how much do you think I could get for the broken Macbook? I'm not sure on the stats, I got it as is from the store - I know it had 160gb. I was going to take into a store, but I wanted to check online first so I wouldn't be getting ripped off. If ANYONE could help me with this, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

You can buy an external case for the black macbook drive and plug it into the new macbook to copy the data. Once you have all of the data, you can erase it and put it back. Cases can be purchased for $20.

Here is a nice looking case from a very reputable vendor:

OWC Express 2.5" Portable USB 2.0 Enclosure... (ES2.5BPU2S) at OWC

If you don't already have a backup solution, you can buy an extra portable drive, put it in the case, and you are all set.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.