Frustrated

Reaction score
I am so frustrated with my imac that I have had for less then 6 months. All of a sudden I cannot get anything to load on either Firefox or Safari. It takes longer then windows use to. Is there something that i can do to fix this problem ??

I have repaired disk from my DVD that came with my imac Have repaired permissions Have done everything that I can find to do for this problem to no avail. I am ready to make this beautiful machine into a door stopper .:Grimmace:

It was so fast & so nice when I first got it .

Please tell me whatelse I can do

Thanks

Reaction score
Is it just the internet that is slow?

Have you tried OnyX?

OP
M
Reaction score
No my internet is fine on I am on dsl . It will not load pages without clicking on a link like 3 or 4 times. It will just say at the top that it is loading.
Firefox will say that it can't find the page so you hit retry & then it will finally come up.

Reaction score
Sorry, is the whole computer slow or is it just your web browser?

Do you have OnyX? If not, you should get it. Here is a link.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/20070

OnyX allows you to run misc tasks of system maintenance, to configure certain hidden parameters of the Finder, Dock, Safari, Dashboard, Expose, Disk Utility... to delete cache, to remove a certain number of files and folders that may become cumbersome, to see the detailed info of your configuration, to preview the different logs and CrashReporter reports, and more.

OP
M
Reaction score
I run main menu all the time. I clear out the cache & do all the mantiance Stuff. Is there anything else that I can do ?? I am thinking that I might have wipe my hard drive clean & start over again. I have already done a archive but that didn't help at all.

Is the cache the same as temp files ?? Is there a way to clean out temp files ??

I just tried on Safari & Firefox to go to one of my bookmarks & after having to click on it 4 times it finally came up

Thanks for any advice on this

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
How are you connected to your DSL? A router? Wired? Do you have any other computers on the same network connection? Do they go slow on the web and not connect like your Mac?

OP
M
Reaction score
I am on a router with another computer & the other one is working just fine.

I just reset Safari will see how that goes.

Is Oxy any better then Main menu ??

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Is the other system that works fine a PC with XP? Are both hooked to the router WIRED or Wireless?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So you have a Wired connection from the XP system and the iMac to your router hooked to a DSL modem. Are you running the latest version of OSX which would be 10.4.10? Trying to figure just what is causing your issue.

OP
M
Reaction score
Yep have 10.4.10

It is just getting to the point that I just want to take a hammer to it. I was trying to do a search on google & nothing would even come up just the the loading thing going around & around in the tab. ( not the beach ball)

Do you think that I should do a reformat ??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
MrsRed, this sounds like an issue I experience from time to time. As odd as it may sound, the answer in my case, after the usual OnyX and other Mac maintenance has been to turn off my DSL modem AND the router, let them sit alone for about 10 minutes and then turn them back on again. Basically, reset the DSL modem and router. If you are like most of us, those boxes are just always on, week after week after week. Now and then, a hard reset of these boxes really speeds things up.

I would recommend that you try this as well.

I would also recommend the usual stuff, like making sure you have cleaned out your browser's history and cache and cookies. All of this will slow down a browser as well, but I am assuming you have done that already.

Give the DSL Modem and Router reset a try. It has solved a slow web performance issue for me more than once.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MrsRed, one other thing. When your Mac is not otherwise doing anything, please pull up Activity Monitor (in your Utilities folder) and observe what the resting level of your CPU activity is at. It should be somewhere between 0% and 5% at the most. If it is more than that, use the process listing of Activity Monitor to determine what process is responsible for the extra CPU percentage. If you do find such a process, or more than one, please report them back here.

...and PLEASE tell me that you do not have ANY Norton product loaded on your Mac. They cause SO many problems that if you do, I would recommend uninstalling immediately.

OP
M
Reaction score
Will give that a shot Mac
If that doesn't work then I guess I got a new door stopper.

Thanks to all for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I hope this works out MrsRed. If it doesn't, can you get the Mac to an Apple store? Take it in to the Genius Bar and let them have a look. It is POSSIBLE that you have a hardware issue of some sort, although unlikely.

No matter what, your Mac would be a fairly expensive door stopper! :D Better to to have a real expert shake it down if nothing else works.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I really feel this is some sort of Network issue since the only complaints I have read here are Browsers and having to click URL's many times for them to go in. Could you open System Preferences, Network and click on Ethernet and do a Screen Shot of the Settings on the TCP/IP tab? Hold Command-Shift-3 for s full screenshot or Command-Shift-4 then point at that window and hit Space and then click for a screenshot of just that Network window.

OP
M
Reaction score
I hope this is what you mean
Tried the shutting router & modem off no help.

Not sure how to get the screen shot in here

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I hope this is what you mean
Tried the shutting router & modem off no help.

Not sure how to get the screen shot in here

When leaving a message open Advanced and click on attach and point to it and click upload. If it does not take it, open it in preview and save it and turn the quality slider down. It will then take it as a .JPG. Save it as a JPG. Almost forgot that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.