Maxtor external HD not mounting HELP!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz MBP w/ 2GB of ram and 320 GB HD, 4GB iPhone, 60GB iPod
ive got a maxtor 3100 80 gig USB 2.0 external HD. ive had it for 6 months now, never had any problems with it... until yesterday....

it wont mount to my HD. ive tried to reset it over and over, and the lights are going on like its booting up... just never mounts to my desktop. i searched a little in the forums to see if anyone else was having this problem, and they recommended going to disc utility and try to run the first aid on it. i did so, and i keep getting error messages. it is showing up that its plugged in, but isnt usuable. is this thing shot?

i hope not... but if it is, what are my options? ive got quite a bit of stuff on this HD and really hate to lose it. my warranty is done on it, and i really want the stuff on it more than the HD. any help? thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Well, I have had the same problem with Maxtor and being compatible with mac. You will need to qualify what is happening, that will be the only way I can help you out. First, are you using this external harddrive with any other operating systems? Second, when you unplug the harddrive from the computer, do you receive the disk removal error? Thirdly, did you attempt or succeed in formatting it before you had problems. Fourthly, do you have any other operating systems or computers that will reconize the drive. This will give a good start. If you could write me an email at [email protected] I am sure that I can help you out

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.