Old G3s

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53 GHz MBP, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HDD
My mom bought me 3 blue iMacs and a graphite iMac for $30. None of them have system software and the graphite doesnt turn on at all. I already have a blue iMac and a graphite to start. So I dont need to save these in working order for any reason. What else can I do with them that doesnt have to have them running? Im talking not computer related. I saw one of them made into a cat bed one time and I plan on doing that with one of them. ANY ideas are appreciated. ANY...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
The graphite imac is the best one, do they even have a power light on when you plug them in and try to start them up

if they show any signs of life - then it could just be that their internal battery is dead, or that someone has taken out the RAM (unlikely)

Have a look at lowendmac.com if you want to get them working again

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
My cat likes his as a bed.

The original G3 iMacs are a lot simpler to put back together to make a cat bed because you don't need any sort of glue. But it had two pieces on the inside of the case that stick up leaving less room in the front of the case for the cat to lay.
I haven't taken apart a DV model, which what the blue models are if I had to guess.
The later models like the graphite don't have the two pieces on the inside of the case but it didn't go back together as nicely as the early iMacs so I had to use a lot of super glue. Plus, the graphite case looks a little blue and isn't very appealing when it's empty. I prefer the brighter iMacs.
I can't say I've seen photos of an iMac fish tank but people always say there is one. It seems like a lot of work sealing all of those little cracks and holes though.

With three you could make some sort of bookcase or something. Or a sort of jungle gym for the cat.

OP
KB3GZW
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nah I know what to look for to get them running and I dont really have any intentions to get them to run.

I may do a fish tank or I could make it into a snake enclosure, that would be cool.

I am definately make one of them into a cat bed though.

Someone stripped the RAM out of the graphite and it looks like there was an airport card in it to, but that is gone(bummer). I did put RAM into it to try and start it but there was no dice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I think the iMacs do not power on if the logic board battery is dead. It might be a simple fix.

OP
KB3GZW
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
alright I will check it out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.