which imac would you suggest? Logic 9 music production.

Reaction score
ok so im down with pcs, cheated me one too many times (im sure most of you understand)
i make music on my comuter (digital interface USB midi set up)
i would like to run logic 9 (so so sexy)

i am on a budget but at the same time i want to buy everything im going to need. which would you recomend:

21.5-inch iMac#3.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo#8GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 4x2GB
(upgrade on the processor and ram) which would run me like.. $1600
OR
27-inch iMac#2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel i7#8GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 4x2GB
(upgrade on the processor and ram) which is like ....$2400
OR
something in between? is the quad core worth the money?
i know i want a desktop, im not portable.... and i do what something that will easily run my music life lag free, BUT i dont wanna drop an extra 800$ or over power...
any advice from music producers out there would help me tremendously.

thank you

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 MB, 2.1GHz 4GB RAM, 10.5.8
I'm running big projects on an old 2.1Ghz white macbook atm. Looking to upgrade soon, but still capably running 48 track recordings on it. You'll be more than happy with the bottom spec 21.5"iMac as long as you max out the RAM. For me, 21.5" of screen real estate would be fine, though I always choose to run 2 monitors, so I'd run it with a 2nd 22", the 27" is lovely, but tbh I find it too big for long hours infront of it.

Reaction score
U can run logic on any of the systems that you have mentioned. Just make sure that u have at least 2gigs of ram. All music programs require at least 1 gig. So if u have at least 2gigs u r fine. But always get the most ram u can afford.

Reaction score
I bought a new iMac 21,5" a few weeks ago. I'm running Logic Pro 9. A strong iMac is a must for me. I'm running so many plugins on so many tracks at the same time, I need the power. Got 8 gig ram and works perfectly, don't even need to freeze tracks.

958081102_5_I0tA.jpeg

Before the iMac i used Macbook, 2,16 Core Duo with 2 gig ram. That was too little. So my advice, go for the iMac with full ram

Btw. If you still want to be portable with your iMac, try the iLugger

iLugger 21.5 | ilugger.com

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.