Question Mark (?) in finder window

Reaction score
I just uninstalled the trial version of microsoft office from my Macbook (osx 10.4), and since I did that there has been a question mark next to the action icon in finder. When I click on it, it says, "The item cannot be found." Any ideas why it is there, or how to get it to go away? I haven't cleaned out my trash yet, so the files for the trial version are still on my comp.

Thanks,
Paul

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I am not sure what the action icon is, but if the question mark is on the dock. Just drag it off and it will disappear.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP w/Intel Core 2 Duo w/Lion, MBA w/Lion, 80GB iPod Video, 32GB iPhone 4, Two 32GB iPads
A picture perhaps..? To better explain/show your situation..

Reaction score
Just right-click on it and select Remove Item.

OP
P
Reaction score
I cant drag it off, and its not on the dock. How do I capture a screen shot? Ill pst a picture once i figure that out.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP w/Intel Core 2 Duo w/Lion, MBA w/Lion, 80GB iPod Video, 32GB iPhone 4, Two 32GB iPads
Cmd + Shift + 3 for the whole screen.

Cmd + Shift + 4 to capture a section.

Cmd + Shift + 4 and then hit Spacebar to grab a window shot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Right-click > Remove Item

If that fails, then select "Customize Toolbar" and drag it off.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks lifeisabeach, customizing the toolbar worked. I had to drag the default toolbar on.

Reaction score
I've got two of them in all of my finder windows. Internal, and 2 external hard drives. Anybody know what their purpose is, what they mean and how to get rid of them

Thanks.

Reaction score
What they most likely are, are aliases to apps which were dragged to the toolbar.
If the original app was uninstalled, the icon changes to a question mark. Same thing happens to the dock.
Just drag it off, or customize toolbar and remove it.

Reaction score
OS 10.4 - Question Mark (?) in finder window

You (perhaps inadvertently) entered something in the search field in the right-hand corner of the window. And the item was not found. That is why the question mark is there (and the search field is not). Just command-drag the question mark from the window and - voila - it is gone for good.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.