Basic setup

Reaction score
My cable box has one HDMI out connected to TV. What do I need in a receiver to ensure sound from surround sound system with ATV ? How do I make the connections ? Do I need HDMI in and out on the receiver ? Thanks in advance

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks. I will be more specific. HDMI from cable box to TV . Optical cable from cable box to receiver. ATV works when the aforementioned optical cable is hooked directly to it. Have tried cable splitter with no luck. One HDMI port on receiver. Hooking ATV to this is ineffective. Do I need a receiver with multiple HDMI input/outputs ? Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Do you have any other connections on your cable box and receiver?

Perhaps a digital coax out on the cable box and in on the reciver? That'd free up the optical cable for the ATV.

An optical splitter/combiner will work. I.e. optical from cable into adapter. Optical from ATV2 into adapter. Single output from adapter into reciver input.
You just have to make sure that the adapter isn't JUST a splitter but that it works as a combiner too. and that when the ATV is on, the cable box is off, and vice versa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
If you're considering a receiver change a full HDMI (multiple inputs) receiver and or one that can take at least two optical and maybe one digital coax is worth the investment.

I'm suprised your current receiver has only one HDMI. Is it an input or an output?

OP
M
Reaction score
Thank you both. It is merely a splitter. Good advice on combiner. Any idea where to purchase ? Coax may work also. Thanks, great ideas. Out of town and cannot attempt until Thursday. Will post outcome. Receiver is cheapo part of surround system Sony gave with the TV. One HDMI output. Thanks again

OP
M
Reaction score
success

Optical splitter/selector solved the problem. Thank you for the help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Thanks. I will be more specific. HDMI from cable box to TV . Optical cable from cable box to receiver. ATV works when the aforementioned optical cable is hooked directly to it. Have tried cable splitter with no luck. One HDMI port on receiver. Hooking ATV to this is ineffective. Do I need a receiver with multiple HDMI input/outputs ? Thanks

HI,
I can see that you've solved the problem but just thought I'd let you know how mine is set up.

My Denon AVR1910 has 4 HDMI inputs and 1 output to the TV.
Everything passes through the receiver SkyHD,Blu-Ray and the ATV2 which is hooked up by HDMI only to one of the inputs.

When streaming digital movies over ATV2 the receiver outputs DD 5.1.

The only oddball is Sky, who broadcast in DD but don't send it over HDMI so that is dealt with by Optical into the receiver.

I concur with mrplow's advice on input/outputs if you are considering upgrading at some point..the more the merrier.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.