Snow Leopard DMG Install

Reaction score
I currently have a DMG file of Snow Leopard on a flash drive that has been formatted correctly in order to boot from. I want to install Snow Leopard on it so I can boot from the flash drive to troubleshoot some problems with my MacBook Air. If I am running the installer from the flash drive is it possible to install the OS on the flash drive itself when I am presented with the disk selector screen. I would appreciate any help. Thank you!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I currently have a DMG file of Snow Leopard on a flash drive that has been formatted correctly in order to boot from. I want to install Snow Leopard on it so I can boot from the flash drive to troubleshoot some problems with my MacBook Air. If I am running the installer from the flash drive is it possible to install the OS on the flash drive itself when I am presented with the disk selector screen. I would appreciate any help. Thank you!

Purchase a genuine Snow Leopard install disk...and you should no problem installing the OS.

If you want to troubleshoot your MacBook Air...boot from the purchased Snow Leopard disk.

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
I already have the disk. When I first got it, I made a DMG of the file using my friend's Mac for a situation like this. Anyhow, I don't have a SuperDrive. I really don't appreciate that you think obtained it by illegal means.

Reaction score
It seems like the first thought on this site is that if you have a DMG or other image file that you want to use, it must be illegally obtained. I won't dispute that it's the most like form if it IS illegal, but just like the OP, not everyone has the dough to add on a superdrive after plunking it down for an MBA.

For the OP, if you've restored the DMG to the flash drive through disk utility (not just copied the dmg file over), just hold the option key while booting and it should show up as a bootable option.

Not sure if you can install the OS to the flash drive...I'm going to guess no, but I've never tried. You will be able to run any utilities from the installer once the flash has booted.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I already have the disk. When I first got it, I made a DMG of the file using my friend's Mac for a situation like this. Anyhow, I don't have a SuperDrive. I really don't appreciate that you think obtained it by illegal means.

If you find yourself needing to read or install from CD's/DVD's with your MacBook Air...then maybe it's time to purchase the external drive. This is one of the "weakness's" of the MacBook Air...no optical drive.

As far as the Snow Leopard disk. You only have 6 posts on this website...and we get a lot of illegal questions about Mac OS installing without disks from new members. All you had to do in your original post was mention that you did purchase the Snow Leopard disk.

This is a very friendly Macintosh help website...if you make "negative vibes"...you won't get any help!;)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It seems like the first thought on this site is that if you have a DMG or other image file that you want to use, it must be illegally obtained. I won't dispute that it's the most like form if it IS illegal, but just like the OP, not everyone has the dough to add on a superdrive after plunking it down for an MBA.

I definitely agree! When someone starts talking about having a Mac OS install "DMG" file...many many times it is an illegal copy!

As far as not being able to afford the external superdrive for the MBA.

If you do a specification comparison...the MBA is way overpriced! A MacBook with SUPERIOR specifications can be purchased for at least $500 dollars less!! The base model MBA costs $1499...the MacBook is only $999 (with superior specifications).

The MBA is all about "style", lightweight, and SNOB factor! So if someone can afford to purchase a wayyy overpriced MBA...they can afford to purchase the external superdrive.

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
I want to sorry to everyone for thinking that I had an illegal download. If I use the restore function, can I run disk utility off the flash drive to repair the main hard drive? I just want to be able to use Disk Utility. Thank you.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I want to sorry to everyone for thinking that I had an illegal download. If I use the restore function, can I run disk utility off the flash drive to repair the main hard drive? I just want to be able to use Disk Utility. Thank you.

Good to hear that you do have a Snow Leopard disk.

So it sounds like you are having problems with your hard drive. Can you explain what is wrong, or what are the symptoms?

Generally speaking...what you are trying to do...booting from something other than your hard drive & running disk utility...would be the thing to. But since you have a MBA with no external optical drive...it does make things a bit more difficult.

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
I'm going to try to use the remote disc feature to repair it. I'll try it tomorrow and check how it goes. Thanks for your help.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I was pretty sure the OP was legal by his wording but I had to take off and had no time to answer him. Many Air users are in the same predicament. A lot don't like that external drive as it's tied to the Air and can't be used for anything else.

If you just want to boot off the Installer from a Flash Drive, I just helped someone the other day. Will get the URL and post back. You use Disk Utility. It will not fit BTW on an 8GB Flash Drive. Needs a 16GB one. I tried it and it worked great but it's the install DVD not the whole bootable OS.

http://www.tuaw.com/2009/12/02/mac-101-building-a-bootable-diagnostic-and-repair-flash-drive/

Just for the record, overall the largest percentage of people here at the forums asking to boot and install OSX from a DMG are pirating and admit it when asked. It's the MB Air users like you that are usually legit.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.