• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Video freezes when exporting to Full Quality

Reaction score
[Background: I've been working on a video project in iMovie HD that I'm doing in pieces - exporting each section of the video at full quality when it's done, so that later I can put them all together in a new project.]

Lately I've been having major problems exporting to full quality Quicktime files. The exported video freezes a few frames in, though the audio continues to play normally. This does not happen if I save it to a smaller quality, say, Web Streaming.

I'm having trouble seeing a pattern in how/why/when this happens, too. I have successfully exported movies to full quality both before and after movies that export incorrectly. The first project that had this happen, I decided to reassemble bit by bit to find out if something specific was causing the problem. Turns out that Full Quality exporting started having this problem if I had added titles. After jumping through something like 50 hoops - exporting little pieces, reimporting, exporting just the titles, etc., etc - I managed to work around the issue. Bit of a headache but all seemed to be well.

BUT, the frozen video problem soon happened again. The next time I had this trouble exporting, there were no titles in the project at all, and the problem instead occurred once I added music. So there does not seem to be a pattern within iMovie itself. This makes me think it's either a Quicktime problem or something to do with my computer itself. I have 2GB of memory, 37GB of space left on my hard drive, and I'm running Quicktime 7.4.1 and iMovie HD 6.0.4 on 10.4.11.

Please help! I'm on a bit of a deadline, too. This is driving me crazy!

Reaction score
What is the file size of the video at full quality? It might just be too big for you to play back smoothly on your mac. By full quality do you mean you're exporting at Animation compression?

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! The file is about 26mB, which seems to me to be much smaller than it would be if the video was intact.

By "Full Quality" I mean that that's the label given in iMovie, so whatever the defaults are in that setting. I've also tried Expert Settings on H.264, and after your post on Animation, and neither of those works either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Try Apple Intermediate Codec also.

I'd say look for missing frames, but I don't think iMovie can analyze the file, so it would have to be a manual search.

Reaction score
stardust121, were you able to solve this problem?
xstep: what is apple intermediate codec? (i'm not very knowledgable, so you will have to spell out the steps for me)

I have the exact same problem and am still trying to resolve it. I found 2 other threads about it, but so far they haven't helped me:

Apple - Support - Discussions - exported movie freezes at 30 seconds, ...
Apple - Support - Discussions - Exporting full quality problem - image ...

More info: (macbook, processor 2GHz, memory 1GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, 12 GB of free space on hard disk, Mac Os X.4.11, iMovie HD 6.0.3, quicktime 7.6.2)

Steps I have tried at others suggestions:
-repaired permissions & verified hard disk (did not need repairing) with disk utility tool, opened garageband and played a note then closed it, deleted iMovie pref file, made sure screen was on million colours

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Apple Intermediate Codec is a codec available when exporting using the QuickTime export option. See my iMovie Export guide to see how you get there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.