G5 won't see new WD 500gb HD

Reaction score
The hard drive in my older G5 (dual 2.0) has a bad block on the factory drive and will not allow my OS (running 10.5.4) to start up. I bought a new 500gb Western Digital SATA drive to put into the machine and it will not see the drive when I go to install the OS. I re-installed the OS into the old drive and it is working properly at this point but for how long I do not know. Is there anything special I need to do to get my machine to see this drive. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Pop the new drive into position two on your G5, assuming it is a tower, making sure it is set to slave jumper settings if needed. Go to Disk Utility and see if the drive is shown, then format Mac OS Extended (Journalled).

Use SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner to clone your had drive to the new drive, then change the drives about so the new drive becomes the main hard drive, set to master if necessary.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=97183

OP
E
Reaction score
Thanks harryb, but my machine will not see the drive. From what I understand about SATA drives, you don't need to have the jumpers set correct? Although at this point I'll try it and see if it works. What do I use to set the jumpers. I know there are pins on the drive for doing this but there is nothing that i can see to put over the specific pins Forgive my ignorance as I'm rather new to all of this. I'm an operator not a tech so some tech things I just don't get sometimes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.