How much power used while in Sleep mode?

Reaction score
Hi

Well the subject sort of says it all, really. Do you know how much power is used while the system is in Sleep mode? I notice there's no proper hibernate mode, like there is in Windows.

Thanks
M

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.
THank god there isn't a hibernate mode like Windows. It always caused me problems.

It uses very little power in stand by. It depends on the amount of RAM you. It is typically about 5% a day for me (4GB of RAM).

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Hibernation is a Windows term. Macs run OSX and there for are different than Windows. There is no Hibernation in OSX, only Sleep. In sleep the machine is totally sleeping. Internet is gone, screen is dark, hard drive not spinning. The current usage is probably very low. I have left my iBook G4 for days in Sleep and I woke it and it still had a lot of life left.

I know Windows very well and from what I have seen sleep in OSX is very similar. The machine is dead. Everything stops. People ask why their chat applications close when OSX is sleeping. It's because it's totally asleep.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Sleep on a Mac is similar to Sleep on a windows pc (although, I've had sleep on my Mac work correctly and have always had trouble with it on my pcs) - if you loose power in sleep mode, the machine will need to do a full reboot, unlike Windows Hibernate which will resume from the HD basically by using a saved copy of what's in RAM.

Now, a little search on google for OS X Hibernate did yield an interesting piece of info about "safe sleep". It looks like it doesn't work necessarily for everyone, but it for those that it does work for - it's similar to Hibernate from what I've read..

Mac Life. Simple Life.: Mac OS X Hibernate Issue

OP
T
Reaction score
Sleep on a Mac is similar to Sleep on a windows pc (although, I've had sleep on my Mac work correctly and have always had trouble with it on my pcs) - if you loose power in sleep mode, the machine will need to do a full reboot, unlike Windows Hibernate which will resume from the HD basically by using a saved copy of what's in RAM.

Now, a little search on google for OS X Hibernate did yield an interesting piece of info about "safe sleep". It looks like it doesn't work necessarily for everyone, but it for those that it does work for - it's similar to Hibernate from what I've read..

Mac Life. Simple Life.: Mac OS X Hibernate Issue

Just installed the 'Deep Sleep' widget discussed in the article you recommended - perfect, does exactly what i was looking for. Many thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.