• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Best user friendly video editing program for Mac?

Reaction score
With video effects? I tried using final cut express and when i do get it to edit right, it will edit so slow and will be very glitchy when the video is playing with no sound, output quality is fine, but converting a 10 min video is a 35-40 min project, and it's just terrible. I have the MacBook white *current model on apple.com*. I want a program that would be able to edit using video transitions, video effects, that works well with the MacBook? iMovie is fine, but it doesnt have the video effects like windows movie maker did. If anyone could dedicate their time to post a response back that would be nice..

OP
T
Reaction score
With video effects? I tried using final cut express and when i do get it to edit right, it will edit so slow and will be very glitchy when the video is playing with no sound, output quality is fine, but converting a 10 min video is a 35-40 min project, and it's just terrible. I have the MacBook white *current model on apple.com*. I want a program that would be able to edit using video transitions, video effects, that works well with the MacBook? iMovie is fine, but it doesnt have the video effects like windows movie maker did. If anyone could dedicate their time to post a response back that would be nice..
Anyone?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5
Well, it sounds like you might not be importing the video properly into FCE. Before importing have you set up the easy setup settings?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 895LL/A - 15.4" Santa Rosa C2D - 2GB RAM - 120 (onboard), 500GB ext FW/eSATA/USB2 HDDs
Your initial problem might be the Macbook (to be honest, even though your MB might have the Intel X3100 vid chip, it's still honestly not enough horsepower to get the job done well...) ..I have a fall '07 MBP (Santa Rosa 2.2GHz C2D, stock setup) with the nVidia 8600GT vid, and it handles exported DV from eyeTV (I do a lot of commercial editing of TV shows with it) in both iMovie 08 and FCE 4 just fine. Remember, regardless of what you do, many times the re-rendering and encoding of the final, edited, transish'ed and complete project will take time. That is often a natural by-product of the activity. So when you do finish with a project and render it, whether in h.264, mp4, or whatever your favorite flavor of video might be, grab a soda and a hot dog and go play some Guitar Hero... and let nature (and the video) take its' course...

Cheers!

OP
T
Reaction score
Yeah the video time doesnt bug me much just editing it and adding effects to it slow it down real nice. On top of that, there's no sound, and it beeps cause of teh unrendered audio even though i convert all my videos with VisualHub in mp4 format, I don't understand. This is both in Final Cut Express and Pro.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
The fact that your audio is unrendered after using visual hub means you are choosing an incorrect audio codec. Either figure out the right one to use (best choice), or render the audio in FCE before doing further editing.

OP
T
Reaction score
The fact that your audio is unrendered after using visual hub means you are choosing an incorrect audio codec. Either figure out the right one to use (best choice), or render the audio in FCE before doing further editing.
Yeah well how do I render the audio in FCE? Cause when I play it in the left preview window the audio is fine, but when I edit it beeps? and I tried editing with no audio and it has major slowdowns? I dont understand if it's my MacBook or it's just the program itself, cause I know of people who edit fine in FCE. And they have an older MacBook model than me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
If I recall properly (FCP) that is under the Sequence menu item. Select your sequence, go to that menu, and select render all. A weakness is that if you edit the rendered content, you loose that render and have to do it again.

Search for 'render' in the Help menu for more. Also search for 'audio playback quality' as FCP has the ability to lower it in the preferences, so FCE might too.

You would best be served by getting the original conversion right in the first place. Here is a discussion regarding the audio format Final Cut likes.

You mentioned that you are using VH to create an mp4 file, but what is the audio codec being used.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.