Major Problem, Please Help, Thanks :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.42 G4, 256 DDR 333, 80GB H.D.D. Radeon 9200, Mac Mini (first generation)
Hi, my mac mini was always making a grinding noise whenever I turned it on, and sometimes it froze during boot-up, but on second boot, it worked fine, but a little slower than usual, but the noise was still there. It sounded like the fan catching on something. Anyway, later on, the noise would stop, after maybe 1 hr. of use. It did this for about a week, but today, I turned it on, and it made high frequency noises, that sounded like motherboard beeps, but that wasn't it, buecause it kept repeating in random patterns, not one pattern consistently. The computer worked fine, but I was scared, and shut it down? Does anyone know what is causing this sound?

Thanks (by the way, the mac mini is a first-gen. one, (1.42 G4 256MB, internal hard drive died, and has been in use since 2005))

OP
ms-das
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I'd give Apple a call.

OP
ms-das
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, but how much would that cost? My warranty expired, so I'm not sure if it'll be worth the charge to get apple help.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
It's either the Hard Drive or the Cooling Fan. Reason I say Hard Drive is the slow downs. The Drive on my Mini 1.5Ghz died. This one made no noises but the machine slowed down. New drive it's like new again.

It could be the fan bearings also but that would not slow down the machine except if it was overheating due to the fan not running.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
MY vote is for the hard drive also. Try replacing it and see if that solves the problem. If it doesn't then I would sell it on eBay as defective and buy a new computer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.