Help removing folder w/ Windows virus

Reaction score
I was running Clam.Xav on my iMac and saw that something named jwgkvsq.vmx popped up. I had it delete the file, but then a folder named S-5-3-42-2819952290-8240758988-879315005-3665 appeared in my Trash and won't go away. Neither Clam.Xav nor Kaspersky have succeeded in deleting it and simply calling up "Get Info" and hitting "unlock," as suggested elsewhere did nothing. I realize it's a Windows virus (probably caught while xferring files from an older pen drive) and won't affect my system, but I don't like it lurking there...

Is there anyone out here willing to give advice on how to delete this annoying folder from my Trash? I'm fairly comfortable using and doing basic troubleshooting on my Mac, but anything more involved might require more broken down instructions... Most of the advice I've seen for removing this thing has come from old posts and usually (obviously) pertains to PCs.

Many thanks!

AJ

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Uninstall Kaspersky's and then run Secure Empty Trash and if failing that reboot.

Keep us posted on progress.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
^^^ after the above, and it still won't empty the trash, try booting into safe mode to delete the file.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I had it delete the file, but then a folder named S-5-3-42-2819952290-8240758988-879315005-3665 appeared in my Trash and won't go away.

That's a Windows Recycle Bin folder which is a Hidden, System folder by default. How it got on your Mac is the question? Were you copying files and folders from Windows or perhaps when using a Boot Camp dual boot?

OP
A
Reaction score
That's a Windows Recycle Bin folder which is a Hidden, System folder by default. How it got on your Mac is the question? Were you copying files and folders from Windows or perhaps when using a Boot Camp dual boot?

No Boot Camp- probably when getting files off an older pen drive or from our previous computer, a PC. That would be my guess.

I did try to Secure Empty Trash after uninstalling Kaspersky and ClamXav. I got the message "The operation can’t be completed because you don’t have permission to access some of the items." Program is not locked and I am authorized, under sharing and permissions, to make changes.

When you recommend I reboot, do you mean like OS X Recovery? I'm sorry for the noob questions- I am suddenly feeling sheepish for laughing at my parents back in the day for never knowing how to set their VCR clocks.

Any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yeah, the problem with that folder from the Windows Recycle Bin is that it's locked because by default it's a hidden system folder.

But you can force empty the trash by using your terminal. That will get rid of it. Follow the instructions in this article.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip and link, but after I followed the directions in the article, I got the following message in my terminal:

rm: illegal option -- ~
usage: rm [-f | -i] [-dPRrvW] file ...
unlink file

After which I slowly backed away from my computer...

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
After which I slowly backed away from my computer...
Wise choice.

Given your error messages, it looks like there is a space between the tilde (~) and the path to the Trash folder. What exactly did you enter?

OP
A
Reaction score
Wise choice.

Given your error messages, it looks like there is a space between the tilde (~) and the path to the Trash folder. What exactly did you enter?

I wasn't placing the space between the tilde! It worked!

Thanks for the help!

*GRIN*

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.