What is up with my connection? Proxy?

Reaction score
Ok this is the deal. I have the built in firewall on and have some open ports. I went to canyouseemee website to see if they were really open and they were, this is at home. Now I went to my college's dorm and now Joost said that I was behind a proxy... hmm that's weird I have NEVER been behind a proxy even after one year in the dorm. So I go back to canyouseemee's site and ALL of my ports are timed out even port 20, 80 and other ones. I tried downloading a file 1.7 GB and is was going to take a bout 3 DAYS?! That same file took me about 40 minutes last year! So basically my connection is being constricted for some reason, it takes ages to load flash sites like FOX, NBC, and such. What is up?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Ok this is the deal. I have the built in firewall on and have some open ports. I went to canyouseemee website to see if they were really open and they were, this is at home. Now I went to my college's dorm and now Joost said that I was behind a proxy... hmm that's weird I have NEVER been behind a proxy even after one year in the dorm. So I go back to canyouseemee's site and ALL of my ports are timed out even port 20, 80 and other ones. I tried downloading a file 1.7 GB and is was going to take a bout 3 DAYS?! That same file took me about 40 minutes last year! So basically my connection is being constricted for some reason, it takes ages to load flash sites like FOX, NBC, and such. What is up?

Your school likely has a proxy server and/or NAT-based routing that all outbound connections are routed through, at least that's what it sounds like. Check with your campus tech support.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.