on the fence

G

gungkee

currently I am looking at the new ibook 1.2, I was wondering if third party ram and hdd can be used instead of getting the factory upgrades? also, does anyone know how the g4 1.2 compares to the current centrino setups?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
you can use almost any 3rd party hd or ram, as long as its a. mac compatible, or b. compatible with the hardwar even if it doesnt say mac compatible.

OP
X

xthisisRomancex

Currently I am looking at the new ibook 1.2, I was wondering if third party ram and hdd can be used instead of getting the factory upgrades
Yes you can put third party ram in there. this also will NOT viod your warrenty.
You can also put third party HDD in there but i do belive this will void ur warrenty

for tha ram you can check crucial.com

OP
G

gungkee

do you need an anti virus?

do office files, ie word and excel, transfer from mac to pc easily?

also, does anyone use virtual computer?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
there are no os x viruses, you only need av software if youre networked or sharing files with a pc.

Reaction score
gungkee said:
do you need an anti virus?

do office files, ie word and excel, transfer from mac to pc easily?

also, does anyone use virtual computer?

No A/V

I have MS Office for Mac and the office and excel files transfer seemlessly between macs. I also understand that the new iWork software opens MS Office files just fine as well.

I have VPC 7 w/ Windows 2000 on it. This really depends on what youre going to use it for, how much ram you have on the computer and what your expectations are. Any hardware emulator is going to run a bit slow. It works fine for me generally but I am looking for replacement software so I can get away from it.

Hope this helps!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
Just to add to the other answers here...

Adding memory is a snap, and buying from a place like crucial.com will be significantly cheaper than going to Apple.

The hard drives in iBooks, especially the 12", are extremely difficult to replace. If you want a larger drive, my suggestion would be to buy it at the onset directly from Apple and have then build it in.

Comparisons to various Intel/Windows setups are all over the map. I'm certain you could find "reports" that view either favorably. The only real test in my opinion is to run what you normally run yourself and see how you like it.

You don't need an antivirus program. Or anti-spyware, for that matter. Sure, companies sell them, but you don't need them.

Office docs transfer perfectly from Windows to the Mac. The only application snag I hit was with Quicken, which I used for years on Windows: the Mac version can import most of what the Windows version uses, but a few things are lost in the translation. Fortunately, I didn't use any of the features that didn't translate.

I have Virtual PC 6 with XP Professional running as I write this. It's really a band-aid solution for some apps that I haven't migrated yet. It's not something I would recommend running as a regular operating environment, but it gets me through a couple of rough spots once in a while. My goal is to eventually remove it and recover that 2.5 GB. :)

OP
G

gungkee

I am using nero as my current buring software, is there an apple software that is comparable? I have heard of toast but does it copy everything ie, protected material?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Well I've yet to encounter a song that iTunes can't rip if you mean copy-protected audio CD's...

In addition: I've never had a problem copying anything else either...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aptmunich said:
Well I've yet to encounter a song that iTunes can't rip if you mean copy-protected audio CD's...

In addition: I've never had a problem copying anything else either...
same here.;)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
As far as Nero, I know it well and used it for years on my PC's, and from the over year I have been using OSX, Toast has never let me down. Even copies PC CD's just find no matter what they have been. I make backups of everything to be sure. Never had a problem with Toast. There is Mac Burn for $29 which does most things well, but if you are used to Nero I would go with Toast.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.