powerbook DVD playback problem

W

WilliamC

Ok heres my problem no matter what dvd i try to play the are not played back in anamorphic widecsreen. For example toy story should not have black bars when being played in anamorphic widescreen because of its aspect ratio. They play fine on my widecsreen PC and HDTV but not on my powerbook. Whats going on?

In short the best way to describe the problem would be, for those with widescreen tv's, to say its like playing a non-anamorphic(16x9) movie on a widescreen.

Thanks,
William

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
It has been a while since I played a DVD on my powerbook. Since all I have are widescreen movies. I will try one and get back to you.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay, here is what I have found on my powerbook. First I am running OS X 10.3.5, i am using Apple's DVD player 4.0. The movie I tried is The Rock - Scorpion King widescreen version.

On my 15in powerbook in full screen mode I get a black bar at the top and the bottom of the screen they are about 1in in thickness. If I remember correctly this is normal.

OP
W

WilliamC

rman said:
Okay, here is what I have found on my powerbook. First I am running OS X 10.3.5, i am using Apple's DVD player 4.0. The movie I tried is The Rock - Scorpion King widescreen version.

On my 15in powerbook in full screen mode I get a black bar at the top and the bottom of the screen they are about 1in in thickness. If I remember correctly this is normal.

yes 1 inch is normal... I however get 2 inches. Using the same title. This is not a bootleg either none of my movies are these are retail dvds and all have the same problem.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What version of the OS are you running? Also what version of the DVD player are you running?

OP
W

WilliamC

rman said:
What version of the OS are you running? Also what version of the DVD player are you running?

10.3.5 and apple DVD 4.0 same as yours.

Also should the power button be lit up.. because mine does not light up and i don't know if thats normal or not since i just got this powerbook 2 days ago

OP
M

m1k

Can't help with your DVD problem because I have a 12"er...

But the Power button doesn't light up on your PB, sorry. I know it looks like it should, but it actually doesn't :(

It would be nice if the PB G5's Power button lit up though...

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Interesting, which powerbook do you have?

OP
W

WilliamC

rman said:
Interesting, which powerbook do you have?

I have the 15inch with the 1.33 G4 and 64MB ram. I am currently doing a new install of OS X to see if that fixes the problem. Will let you guys know when its done.

OP
W

WilliamC

Well I just finished doing a fresh install and still have the same problem. I have no idea whats going on with this thing theres no reason why this should happen.

OP
W

WilliamC

well it displays the movies fine UNTIL i go into full screen. So i am guessing that Apple DVD thinks the powerbooks display is a 4:3 instad of a widescreen 16:10 don't know how thats possible

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum 12" 1.33ghz PowerBook G4 w/ 1280mb RAM, 80gb 5400rpm HD, 64mb vid RAM
Okay, I worked in the Wal-Mart electronics department during highschool and we once had this problem playing a widescreen DVD on a 16x9 widescreen TV. The solution ended up being that we had to go into the settings (I can't remember if it was in the DVD movie menu itself, or if it was the DVD player menu) and set it up to play on a widescreen monitor. I don't know if it is anything similar, but try going into all the settings on the disk as well as the prefs of the Apple DVD player and see if there is anything about widescreen.

OP
H

heyclement

ya, i think this is more of a software problem. Try to go through the setting in the Apple DVD Player or try downloading some other DVD Player softwares from the internet and try to see if they've the same problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.