Windows User looking to make the switch, got some newbie Qs!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
Hi there.

On the one hand I've been a fan of Macs and the Mac OS for about 4 years or so I'd guess, firstly through my introduction to the Mac world as part of a Computing & Music module at uni, and then through offering tech support for a BT(telco) product in the UK.
On the other hand, I've become more and more disgruntled with MS and its' shonky products. I've been using Linux distros for a couple of years now for around 50% of my daily compter use.

I am now moving ever closer to just buying a MacBook, that way I get a good looking piece of hardware, a decent OS and from what I understand, the BSD based OS X would still allow me to poke, prod & play.

It is a shame that Apple hardware is so much more expensive than generic stuff, I appreciate it looks better, but I know I'd have made the jump a while back if costs were not so great.

However - before shelling out on a new laptop, I wonder if someone could take the time to give me some answers/information?

>> Will the built-in wireless technology in the MacBook work with standard wireless routers & access points?

>> Is the built in wireless able to work with older wireless kit (11b etc)

>> What do most poeple find they can get out of a fully charged battery - assuming you're not doing much more than web browsing and chatting online etc.

>> I've never heard of it until looking around the forums here, but; Should I stay away from the white MacBooks - do they all discolour like that? I don't really want to spend out for a black one, but I'm sure I don't want a skanky looking white one in a couple of months time.

>> Is there anything else I should know?

Thanks for taking some time to answer or point me in the direction of some great posts that already cover this info.

Dave

Reaction score
The airport extreme cards work great with all wi-fi, why wouldn't it? Its just a wi-fi card. :)

I've never needed to use my laptop for more than three hours at a time. But I would guess that it gets close to 5 hours.

White MacBooks are nice, just try to keep them clean; they are white, they are going to get dirty. Anything that is white is going to dirty quickly. They sell all kinds of preventative products (Marware or Invisible Shield) and cleaning products to take care of it.

You're going to love your new Mac, have fun with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
You can also find additional replies to all of these questions by myself and others by using the search function.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 macbook
1) Built in card will do fine, with all networks I havent had a problem accessing old routers and stuff.

2)The battery is one of the best. When you turn off bluetooth you get more life and i have gotten about 4 hours on it. (Im sure you can get 5 without the airport card off)

3)Discoloration was with some of the macbooks when they were FIRST released and has been fixed now, make sure when you buy it that it was made within the last three months and you should be fine.

4) Macs are Great and you are paying more then just the hardware, you paying for the software. Think of how much money and time you will save when you dont have to pay for antivirus/spyware protection. The bootup time is AWESOME. mine is a 2.0 with 1gb ram and boots in 25 seconds. Also speaking of ram, you should upgrade to a to at least 1gb for maxium performace there is a great boost. Although try buying a third party stick to save some money. Also as noted make sure you keep it clean, its a great computer runs both mac OSX and windows (if you need it) perfectly I havent had any problems. Any questions hit me or anyone else at mac forums up!

R

red van man

And still speaking of RAM...is it easy to add RAM after market? Any fancy Torx screwdrivers needed? Will it void the warranty?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 macbook
red van man said:
And still speaking of RAM...is it easy to add RAM after market? Any fancy Torx screwdrivers needed? Will it void the warranty?

yes, no, no

OP
RNDdave
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
Thanks for your answers.

I'm really looking into this, I'm thinking of going for just the standard 512MB RAM for now and then upgrade to the 1GB in a few months time.

Thanks very much for your help & advice.

Dave

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.