how to turn off file vault

Reaction score
I tried turning off file vault so I could use migration assistant to transfer files from my old hard drive to my new hard drive. Except it wont let me turn off file vault as it says I need 89 GB of hard drive space to do so. well I dont have that much space only 5GB as I have a late model 2006 mbp with 100 gb hard drive. Any ideas thanks!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I'd suggest buying an external drive large enough to be a back up drive for your new Mac. First use it with your old Mac to make a SuperDuper! bootable clone. Boot your old Mac to that clone and turn off filevault. Then attach it to your new Mac and import.

Here's a tutorial.

And then don't use filevault on your new Mac (or on the new drive).

If you're just tring to get it onto a new drive you're planning on putting into your existing Mac, the SuperDuper! Clone is still the way to go. Then just change out the drives.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.