Can I upgrade above 10.4.11 on my Imac G4 700MHz PowerPC with 640MB ram?

Reaction score
My old iMac is giving me grief with frequent freezing, and failure to install upgrades due to out of date OS. I have 10.4.11 now, but I can't find information at Apple store about anything older than Lion or Snow Leopard. The system requirements for both exceed what I have.

What is the most recent OS that my system will handle please, and is buying it likely to solve the freezing issues?

Thanks,

Steve

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Technically...OS 10.4.11 is the most recent OS that can be installed on a 700mhz G4 iMac...since officially you need a minimum of an 867mhz G4 to install OS 10.5 Leopard.

But...the good news is...there is a program called "Leopard Assist" which is supposed to help allow slower computers to install Leopard. The bad news...a black (not gray) 10.5 install disk will cost you $80-$100 from e-Bay.

Regarding Snow Leopard & Lion. They both require an Intel cpu...which an iMac G4 does not have.

HTH,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.