• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

DVD Burn problem

Reaction score
I have suddenly encountered a problem burning an iMovie to DVD. I used my usual method of creating an iMovie consisting of stills, videos, and sound tracks. In iMovie I then used Share > create iDVD to create a file in iDVD. Once I reviewed that I then created a disc image from iDVD by File > Save as disc image. Then I opened disc utility, clicked on the .img file and clicked Burn. This appeared to burn to a DVD but when I tried to play the DVD in my DVD machine I got a message that the disc was not recognized. I tried another player with the same result. When inserted in the Mac the disc did play and also in a windows machine.

This is exactly the same process I used for the previous project and I used a disc from the same package (Verbatim DVD-R).

Suggestions will be appreciated.

Thank you

poppi

OP
P
Reaction score
You're burning the ISO as an ISO instead of a DVD. Try using Burn instead of Disk Utility.
http://burn-osx.sourceforge.net/Pages/English/home.html

I am completely confused. This project was created and burned just as I have done many times in the past. I have questions.

What is ISO? Checked the DVD (which plays on both Mac and Windows PC but not in 2 different DVD machines). The format is UDF. Checked another DVD which does play and it is also UDF.

Tried to download the suggested BURN program and see 3 options - Burn, G3, and 64 bit. Only the 64 bit was successful but when I open it it asks for a title and gives 4 options - Data, Audio, Video, and Copy. clicked the Video tab but don't know how to select the iMovie I want to burn.

By the way, I also tried burning directly from iDVD, skipping the disk image step with the same unsuccess.

Sorry to be so ignorant but I am completely confused.

Thank you for your help

poppi

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Hi Poppi. I can't think why you are having problems. My initial thought would be that you've changed the type of dvd that you use, but you say that you haven't. I use Verbatim DVD-Rs for years and have never had a problem with them.

As the dvd plays on two computers, then it doesn't seem to be a dvd problem. I know that some DVD Players can have problems with homemade dvds. It could be that the second machine that you tried could be one of these, and your machine may have developed a fault. Have you tried playing any other dvds that you've made?

Regarding "Burn", to burn a disk image, select the "Copy" option and then you'll be able to select the disk image.

OP
P
Reaction score
Hi Poppi. I can't think why you are having problems. My initial thought would be that you've changed the type of dvd that you use, but you say that you haven't. I use Verbatim DVD-Rs for years and have never had a problem with them.

As the dvd plays on two computers, then it doesn't seem to be a dvd problem. I know that some DVD Players can have problems with homemade dvds. It could be that the second machine that you tried could be one of these, and your machine may have developed a fault. Have you tried playing any other dvds that you've made?

Regarding "Burn", to burn a disk image, select the "Copy" option and then you'll be able to select the disk image.

Yes I am using the same DVDs for quite some time Verbatim DVD-R.

The DVD does seem to be burned. When I click "get info" it shows it to be full and I can see the "burn track" on the disc. It does play on both Mac and PC but not on 2 different DVD players. And yes I have tried my most recent DVD from the same package, created and burned in the same way and it plays perfectly well on my player.

I tried your suggestion. Clicked COPY in the BURN screen, dragged the .img file into that screen, clicked SAVE, then BURN > 4X > BURN, It went comparatively faster but the result will still not play.

poppi

Reaction score
Lock the image file and double click it. What's inside it?
Is there a video-TS folder or something else?
Or just open one of the DVDs in Finder. What's in it?
If there is no Video-TS folder, it wasn't burned as a DVD disk, It's a data disk. And wont play in a standalone player.

OP
P
Reaction score
Lock the image file and double click it. What's inside it?
Is there a video-TS folder or something else?
Or just open one of the DVDs in Finder. What's in it?
If there is no Video-TS folder, it wasn't burned as a DVD disk, It's a data disk. And wont play in a standalone player.

Checked as suggested. Both the .img and the DVD have Audio_TS and Video_TS

poppi

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
All I can suggest then is that you redo the Share To iDVD from iMovie and create a new iDVD Project and dvd and see if that works. If it doesn't, then redo the iMovie Project from scratch.

OP
P
Reaction score
All I can suggest then is that you redo the Share To iDVD from iMovie and create a new iDVD Project and dvd and see if that works. If it doesn't, then redo the iMovie Project from scratch.

I will give that a shot but first let me share another bit of info. I googled burn iMovie to DVD and came up with a site called Wonder Share and downloaded iMovie to DVD creator. This produced a file concerts.m4v on the desktop. The program then led me to a burn which produced a DVD which IS playable on my DVD player, HOWEVER the "free trial" places a watermark on the video and the program costs $40/tear to purchase, something I am unwilling to do when iMovie has always been free.

Is there any reason why a .m4v would play and not a .img?

Stay tuned and thank you

poppi

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
The .img file is a disc image which can be read fine by a drive attached to the computer but can't be read by standalone DVD players.

I've kinda lost track of what things have been tried in this thread. If you have already tried the method I'm going to suggest feel free to ignore them. I couldn't tell for sure if this had been tried.

Take the disk image (.img) file that you have and copy it somewhere convenient such as the Desktop. Double-click the file to open it. An icon resembling a DVD should appear. Then do either of the following:
1. Right click the DVD disc that has appeared, choose 'Burn to Disc" and follow the directions.
2. Launch "Burn (link provided above), choose the "Copy" option and drag the virtual DVD mounted on the Desktop to the window and choose Burn.

Reaction score
Just curious: Is this video in PAL or NTSC format?
If any of the videos included are PAL it wont work.

OP
P
Reaction score
The .img file is a disc image which can be read fine by a drive attached to the computer but can't be read by standalone DVD players.

I've kinda lost track of what things have been tried in this thread. If you have already tried the method I'm going to suggest feel free to ignore them. I couldn't tell for sure if this had been tried.

Take the disk image (.img) file that you have and copy it somewhere convenient such as the Desktop. Double-click the file to open it. An icon resembling a DVD should appear. Then do either of the following:
1. Right click the DVD disc that has appeared, choose 'Burn to Disc" and follow the directions.
2. Launch "Burn (link provided above), choose the "Copy" option and drag the virtual DVD mounted on the Desktop to the window and choose Burn.

I am programmed to have the disc image file saved on the desktop. It is named Concerts-DVD.img but does not look like a disc it looks like a tiny hard drive on a page with the corner folded over??? 2X clicking that opens a folder with folders Audio_TS and Video_TS. Clicking "Get info" shows "Kind: NDIF Disk Image"

If I highlight the .img on the desktop and click file it opens a menu with a "Open new burn folder" option. If I open that and drag the .img into it is that the same as "Right click the DVD disc that has appeared, choose 'Burn to Disc" and follow the directions"?

If the second suggestion is
http://burn-osx.sourceforge.net/Pages/English/home.html I have already tried that with no luck

Thanks again

poppi

OP
P
Reaction score
Continuing to struggle with this problem and have more questions. I have on the desktop a file Concerts-DVD.img. If I click that and click File in the top bar it opens a list of options (New folder, New smart folder, etc). Two options of interest are " New Burn Folder" and "Burn Concerts-DVD.img to disk". Clicking on the first opens a screen titled Burn Folder. If I drag the .img file there it has a Burn button and if I click that it tells me to insert a disk. Clicking on that second option presents a message "To begin insert a blank disc. This disc will be burned with the content 'Untitled disc'. You need a disc capacity of at least 1.48 GB".

What is the difference between these two options. Do they do the same thing? Is one better than the other?

So far I have wasted 6 discs so am trying to find a way that will work.

Thank you

poppi

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This produced a file concerts.m4v on the desktop. The program then led me to a burn which produced a DVD which IS playable on my DVD player, HOWEVER the "free trial" places a watermark on the video and the program costs $40/tear to purchase, something I am unwilling to do when iMovie has always been free.

Is there any reason why a .m4v would play and not a .img?

It's not actually playing the m4v file. That gets converted to an mpeg during the dvd burn process. This is common to all dvd authoring programs.

Hmm...that might indicate that there might be a problem with the iMovie to iDVD share operation. Try using iMovie's "Share to Movie" option. This will give you an mp4/m4v(they are basically the same) movie file.

You can then drop that into an iDVD(or Burn) Project window, burn it and see if that works. You'll need to select the Video and DVD-Video options in Burn.

I have on the desktop a file Concerts-DVD.img. If I click that and click File in the top bar it opens a list of options (New folder, New smart folder, etc). Two options of interest are " New Burn Folder" and "Burn Concerts-DVD.img to disk". Clicking on the first opens a screen titled Burn Folder. If I drag the .img file there it has a Burn button and if I click that it tells me to insert a disk. Clicking on that second option presents a message "To begin insert a blank disc. This disc will be burned with the content 'Untitled disc'. You need a disc capacity of at least 1.48 GB".

What is the difference between these two options. Do they do the same thing?

No, they don't do the same thing. If you want a playable DVD, then you have to do it using Disk Utility. Using the other method just burns a copy of your disk image.

OP
P
Reaction score
Hmm...that might indicate that there might be a problem with the iMovie to iDVD share operation. Try using iMovie's "Share to Movie" option. This will give you an mp4/m4v(they are basically the same) movie file.

I don't see thatanywhere. s it the same as Share > Export to movie? By the way I am at iMovie 9.0.4

OP
P
Reaction score

I don't see that. Is it the same as Share > Export movie? I did that and got a Concerts.m4v on the desktop. Is that something I can burn to a DVD? What program should I use for that?

Thank you

poppi

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't see that. Is it the same as Share > Export movie?
Yes, it is. Sorry.

I did that and got a Concerts.m4v on the desktop. Is that something I can burn to a DVD? What program should I use for that?

Yes, you can burn it to DVD. Use any of the ones that you now have.

For iDVD, start a new iDVD Project, then just drag and drop the movie file into the Project window and burn as normal.

For "Burn", make sure that you choose "Video" in the top line of the window and "DVD-Video" in the drop down menu on the right. Again, drag and drop the movie file into the window. You'll be asked about converting the file. Agree, because that's the way it's done. Video files have to be converted to mpeg for dvds. Then click the Burn button.

Hope that helps.

OP
P
Reaction score
For iDVD, start a new iDVD Project, then just drag and drop the movie file into the Project window and burn as normal.

For "Burn", make sure that you choose "Video" in the top line of the window and "DVD-Video" in the drop down menu on the right. Again, drag and drop the movie file into the window. You'll be asked about converting the file. Agree, because that's the way it's done. Video files have to be converted to mpeg for dvds. Then click the Burn button.

Hope that helps.[/QUOTE]

SUCCESS AT LAST. I used the second suggestion (Burn). It converted the file to a .mpg saved on the desktop. When finally burned it played beautiully. Thanx to you and all the other gurus out there

poppi

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad it's sorted, although the problem isn't solved.

After making many Projects in iMovie 11, one day it wouldn't Export As Movie any more. It just kept crashing every time I tried. Never did manage to find a fix for it. :Angry:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.