Power Mac G5 HD Booting Problems

Reaction score
Hi all,

Hope I have posted this in the right section of the forum.

My G5 was getting to the grey screen, displaying the apple logo and the spinning wheel, then powering off. I took it to the support centre where I work and they told me the Hard Drive was gone. These guys are notoriously dodgy with repairing macs, so I chose to continue trying to fix it myself.

I took out the Hard Drive and put it into another G5, booted from the Install CD and reformatted and reinstalled OS X. It worked perfectly in this other G5, but when I returned the Hard Drive back into the original G5 I got the flashing question mark and folder on the grey screen.
When I have the Hard Drive in the original G5 it also will not let me boot from the Install CD. If I hold down option there is nothing displayed to choose to boot from, and if I hold C to force it to boot from the CD it still goes to the flashing question mark and folder grey screen.

Any suggestions as to what hardware in the G5 could be causing these problems aside from the HD itself? (which does work in other G5s)

Reaction score
I am having the same problem...

I am having the same problem except I dont get the spinning wheel anymore... ???? Getting very disappointed... Any Ideas from anyone...?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Aside from logic board failure, SATA cable failure. Got the original system install discs that came with the G5? Boot from that and run Apple Hardware Test in extended mode.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.