AT & T Sim Card

Reaction score
Has anyone placed a SIM card from AT&T from a regular plan that has nothing to do with the iphone into an iPhone? Does the iPhone work?

thank you

Reaction score
The great thing about sim cards is they work in any phone. However you won't get a lot of the data plan features as well you dont have the service plan for those items. However AT&T requires you to have a higher plan in order to purchase the phone, if you do not then you cant do much with a lot of the features.

OP
B
Reaction score
I have an AT&T plan with unlimited data and unlimited messaging and 5000 minutes for $20 a month because of a corporate discount, so I would like to take my SIM card and be able to place it into the iphone and at least be able to text, make phone calls, and use the ipod, everything else is just gravy. But nobody has given me a clear answer as to if my sim card will alow me to do those things in the iphone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Have you bothered to ask AT&T?

Reaction score
So far, from various questions I put on various forums, the answer is no. Only the included SIM card will work on the iPhone. On the other hand, the included SIM card will work on any unlocked/AT&T GSM phone. On the bright side, once activated, you can still use the iPod and/or wifi functions with/without a valid SIM card.

I'll be waiting until Apple wise up and sell unlocked iPhones. So far, the only thing AT&T has done is ****** off some potential customers through failed activations and poor customer service.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
You don't really think they are gong to sell unlocked iPhone's do you? If so, have a nice 5 year wait.

Reaction score
You don't really think they are gong to sell unlocked iPhone's do you? If so, have a nice 5 year wait.
Europe by end of 2007, and Asia early 2008. It would be really stupid of Apple if they don't sell the iPhone unlocked in Asia, since everybody else (Nokia, SE, Moto, Samsung, LG, etc) are selling unlocked phones. It would be really ironic though if we in the US have to import an iPhone to get an unlocked version. :Smirk:

Reaction score
I tried my Cingular SIM card in the iPhone after activation and it said invalid. I put it back in my other phone and it still reads invalid.

Reaction score
I'll be waiting until Apple wise up and sell unlocked iPhones. So far, the only thing AT&T has done is ****** off some potential customers through failed activations and poor customer service.

Having been a person who had activation problems your comment here is way off. The service I received was excellent the customer service reps went out of there way to provide a solution to my activation problem. I would have been happier if the activation went smother but it had more to do with Verizon than ATT.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I've been reading up from a lot of forums, especially Howardforums.com where they live and breathe phones. The deal is that any AT&T SIM card will work in the iPhone, but only if it's activated with an iPhone plan. You can't take your SIM card activated under another plan and use it in the iPhone. However, you can take a SIM card activate with the iPhone and use it in another AT&T or unlocked GSM phone.

AT&T does not allow any other plans or discount programs, such as corporate discounts, with the iPhone, not even for iPhone related accessories. This is what I've heard from people with first hand experience.

Reaction score
I've been reading up from a lot of forums, especially Howardforums.com where they live and breathe phones. The deal is that any AT&T SIM card will work in the iPhone, but only if it's activated with an iPhone plan. You can't take your SIM card activated under another plan and use it in the iPhone. However, you can take a SIM card activate with the iPhone and use it in another AT&T or unlocked GSM phone.

AT&T does not allow any other plans or discount programs, such as corporate discounts, with the iPhone, not even for iPhone related accessories. This is what I've heard from people with first hand experience.

Oh I forgot about those forums. Good info, thanks. I can't give u anymore rep it seems. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
No worries, I'm not bent on rep anyway.

Reaction score
Having been a person who had activation problems your comment here is way off. The service I received was excellent the customer service reps went out of there way to provide a solution to my activation problem. I would have been happier if the activation went smother but it had more to do with Verizon than ATT.
Good for you. Unfortunately not all people share the same story as yours.

Reaction score
i took the sim card out of my cingular 8525 and replaced it with the one that came in the iphone. Activated my iphone with my old sim card through itunes, had to do the plan upgrade, and it works... let me grab my brothers sim and stick it in and see what happens..

nope, just plugged my brothers sim in and it came up with
Incorrect SIM Please connect to iTunes to reactivate iPhone.

so i guess u do need to add the iPhone plan... but its on ly an extra $20 or soo with unlimited data, and 200 sms.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.