Some advice please if possible

Reaction score
Hi everyone, im new to this forum and in fact new to Macs as well.

I'm currently a PC user but have heard great things about Macs so in the next couple of weeks I intend to buy an iMac, but before I do i wondered if somebody would be able to answer a few questions for me:

Is there any torrent software that works on macs?
Are there any free codecs that will allow me to watch avi or divX files on my mac?
Is there any backwards compatibility between files saved on microsoft mac office and those on the PC version?

Also does the new iMac come packaged with anti-virus software? and if not what anti-virus do you recommend?

Thanks in advance for your input (i hope i posted this thread in the right place as well?)

Reaction score
swarrin said:
Hi everyone, im new to this forum and in fact new to Macs as well.

I'm currently a PC user but have heard great things about Macs so in the next couple of weeks I intend to buy an iMac, but before I do i wondered if somebody would be able to answer a few questions for me:

Are there any free codecs that will allow me to watch avi or divX files on my mac?
Is there any backwards compatibility between files saved on microsoft mac office and those on the PC version?

Also does the new iMac come packaged with anti-virus software? and if not what anti-virus do you recommend?

Thanks in advance for your input (i hope i posted this thread in the right place as well?)

You can play .avi files by using VLC media player, and divx for mac and play those files. The iMac and all macs have no virus, and nobody call hack it, i think their are very few chances but if you want (i wouldn't recommend) a security suite you can get it from McAfee or Symantec.

these are the answers i know

hope that helps

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
swarrin said:
Yes. There are more than one torrent Apps. workinig on Intel Macs.
Azureus, Tomato, Bits on Wheels, Transmission (Native on Intel)

swarrin said:
This article may help you a bit.

swarrin said:
Yes

swarrin said:
Normally Macs are immune to viruses. Here are some AV software for Intel Macs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Best place to go to look for software is here: http://www.macupdate.com

I have never used AV software with my macs and in other people's experience I have heard that some of the AV software actually caused more problems then it was worth. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.