RAM question

Reaction score
I am looking to buy a mac mini in a week or so, but I have a quick question.
In the future, If I want to upgrade my RAM to two GB, what type do I have to get? I am pretty sure it is DDR2 5300 sodimms, but will any brand due or are macs picky with the brands they can take? I was looking at getting two 1GB sticks from crucial.

also

I am going for the cheaper model, one of the reasons because I am not going to be burning DVDs on it. But If I had to, I have an external usb enclosure for a dvd-rom drive. Would that work with the mini?

thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
You can use pretty much any brand, as long as you have the right specs (you're right, it's PC2 5300 SODIMM). Many members here swear by the Crucial brand, and for good reason.

Most peripherals will work with Macs, many times without having to install drivers. So chances are pretty good that an external burner will work once you plug it in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
If you are worried about it, go to places like www.macconnection.com, and purchase RAM that is explicitly advertized as being compatible with the mini. I did something very similar to get the extra RAM for my PowerMac. Worked like a champ and I didn't have to worry about incompatibility at all.

OP
JeffBookPro
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help. I can't wait to get my mac mini, I am going on november 2nd. I'll be upgrading the ram a few weeks later.

Reaction score
cheers for the info as well guys i have just order 2 x1gb sticks from Cruical... looking forward to installing them in my mac mini

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.