iDVD and External Burners

H

heesey1010

I'm thinking about buying a Mac Mini (beautiful machine), but I don't have enough money to buy one with a SuperDrive as of right now.

So here's two questions (maybe three):
1) Can I use iDVD 5 in conjunction with an external DVD Burner?
(if not, I heard of a little trick where you press Ctrl and click "Burn DVD", and then you can use the external burner, but I don't know about this?)
2) If I can't do the above, can I make an image file of the iDVD project, and burn it onto a DVD via a Windows PC?

Thanks,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
1. many external burners are supported natively in itunes, idvd, finder, etc. I recommend a LaCie, which can all burn using idvd. and no, holding control and clicking has nothing t do with it, it has to do with the burners firmware and drivers, not how you click something.
2. you can make an image and burn it over a network or many other ways.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 12 inch running mac os 10.4 with: 60 gb HD+256 mb ram+Radeon 9200
Ya my Iomega isn't so Good Lacie Definately

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
The control and click is used in another hack that was created before patchburn.

I don't have patchburn loaded on my system. So in order to get iDVD to burn, I installed the hack that heesey1010 is talking about. Once i am ready to burn a DVD. I have to press and hold the control key, then click on the burn button. Click it again after the burn button is now active. Then a menu window comes up.In it I select my DVD burner and select okay.

I don't remember the name of the hack.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 12 inch running mac os 10.4 with: 60 gb HD+256 mb ram+Radeon 9200
I use patchburn and that hack.

lol 100th post yay.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.