Ethernet not connected

Reaction score
Good day!

For some reason when I go to my Network, it says Ethernet is not connected. When I open Safari/Chrome it says "Resolving host.." then after a few seconds it would say "Unable to connect to the network".

I went on a vacation yesterday to my brother's house and connected to their Wi-Fi without problems. When I came back home and tried to connect, it asked for my password. The thing is, I accidentally put a wrong password and launched Safari/Chrome but it wouldn't connect. Immediately after, an Alert: No Internet Connection appeared on top of the connections available.

I tried restarting the router and changed the password but it doesn't seem to work?

Halp? :(

Reaction score
Are you using Wifi or ethernet cable to connect the router. You might need to go system preference click on network icon and start a fresh connection. If you have reset the router too then have a look at bottom of the router for the address 192.168.0.1 or 10.0.0.1 and enter http://192or10 on safari browser url. This will access the router for you to enter admn/password. Pending on how savvy with you will need to enter a wizard setup and type in your providers details given to you. For a Wifi connection internal type you need to use airport express utility provided. Usb Wifi will have a software called Ralink or similar to enter settings.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Good day!

For some reason when I go to my Network, it says Ethernet is not connected. When I open Safari/Chrome it says "Resolving host.." then after a few seconds it would say "Unable to connect to the network".

I went on a vacation yesterday to my brother's house and connected to their Wi-Fi without problems. When I came back home and tried to connect, it asked for my password. The thing is, I accidentally put a wrong password and launched Safari/Chrome but it wouldn't connect. Immediately after, an Alert: No Internet Connection appeared on top of the connections available.

I tried restarting the router and changed the password but it doesn't seem to work?

Halp? :(

Apologies If any of this is obvious to you.

Ethernet will show disconnected unless you have an ethernet cable (sometimes called a network cable or Cat5 or Cat 6 cable) connecting your router to your Mac.
If you connect to your router wirelessly it's perfectly normal to see the ether disconnected as you would only normally use ethernet or wi-fi to connect, not both.

Can you answer a few things for me?
1. You say you have changed the password. Which password have you changed?
2. How did you change the password exactly?
3. If you have a network/ethernet cable and connect your Mac and router together with it, do you have a working internet connection?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac Retina 5K/3.4GHz Core i5/256GB SSD/40GB DDR4/Logitech MX Master 2S/
Not to hijack this thread, but my wife just told me that in the morning when she first opens her iPad, she gets that same message "You are not connected to the internet" and she "see's" a variety of neighbor's wifi bases listed but then after a minute or so all is well without her doing anything. Does the iPad have some auto shutdown feature that logs it off the network when its closed for several hours?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Not to hijack this thread, but my wife just told me that in the morning when she first opens her iPad, she gets that same message "You are not connected to the internet" and she "see's" a variety of neighbor's wifi bases listed but then after a minute or so all is well without her doing anything.

Just sounds like it's taking a while for your router to allocate an IP (unique network address) to the iPad or it's taking the iPad a while to respond.

If you're router supports it have it allocate the same IP to the iPad each time. This way it'll be reserved solely for the iPad. The router often describes this as address reservation of LAN IP.

On the iPad, close down any running/suspended apps, hard boot (hold home and sleep/wake until the iPad reboots). This will 'clear the decks' and get the iPad back to full speed. I do this once a month to blow out the cobwebs.

Does the iPad have some auto shutdown feature that logs it off the network when its closed for several hours?
No, not as such. But if the iPad has been asleep and another device joins the network and the IP the iPad had gets reused or the router reboots or refreshes, the iPad will need to be allocated a new IP when it awakes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.