dark screen/external monitor

Reaction score
Ok, I am a long time user of computers but tech stuff no. I do not know the technical language to use for troubleshooting. I have been a long time user of iMac G4 Dome that has run perfect for years. I have a Toshiba lap top also. I guess it is time for a new mac when $ comes available but for now here is the problem.
The Mac screen went almost black. I can see the desk top slightly but cannot make out words or titles at all. I make out the mouse arrow just enough (takes awhile) to shut it down.
To fix it is probably not worth it but I have two years of valuable pictures and banking on it and must back them up before this computer is dead. (yes I know should have done it before) I was reading about running an external monitor but all the examples are two working computers not one with a black screen. Is this possible? Any suggestions on what to do? I am not afraid of wiring and hook ups. I have connected tvs, game systems, memory etc. so if I knew how to do it I could. I have looked into a wide spread area and no one works on iMacs. Apple care ran out years ago. Anyones help would be so appreciated. :(

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Others will chime in with ideas I'm sure but here's my take on the matter. It seems like at the very least the screen is starting to give up the ghost. In order to get you data off the machine before things go completely awry the easiest way is probably to connect an external monitor.

If I'm right that model supports video miroring where the screen appears on an external monitor. You would need a Mini VGA to VGA adapter and a VGA monitor. When you connect everything and boot the machine your desktop should appear on the external screen allowing you to see things and copy your data. If the graphics chip isn't failing it could run like that indefinitely.

The alternative is to remove the hard drive but that is something I'll leave to others to discuss.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thank you so much for your fast response. This sounds great but on my vga port on my laptop, the port does not fit that big end with the two screws like I see. Is there a adapter that has just the vga plug in without that big end..(there is the three rows of 5.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can't use the Toshiba as a monitor for the G4 anyway as the Toshiba supports video out only. You need to do what Slydude suggested and that is a combo of mini VGA out to an adapter which matches the external monitor or TV that you choose.

I can't help you with removing the hard drive from that machine but I'm sure there are others in our forums that are more familiar with how to do it.

C

chas_m

It sounds to me like the iMac G4 is actually working fine, the problem you seem to have is that the backlight for the screen has died.

Among the other solutions that should work:

1. Plug in an external monitor using the proper adapter
2. Do a Firewire transfer to another Mac that has firewire of the data you want to preserve
3. Get a flashlight to shine on the screen and copy the relevant data to a USB thumb drive

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
3. Get a flashlight to shine on the screen and copy the relevant data to a USB thumb drive

How come I never remember that as an option?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.