Installing OSx on older Imac?

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just stumbled upon this site and think it is great a resource.

Yesterday I found an Imac on street about to be thrown away. I took it home and turned it on. immediately after start up all I get is a flashing question mark. After searching the internet for solutions, I tried booting the imac with my OS X cd from my ibook g4. This didn't work. The computer recognized the cd, but when I doubled click on it, nothing happened. I assume the previous owner complete erased his hard drive

The Imac is model number 5521,
Specs G3, other specks i Don't know about

My question are:

1: Can G3 imacs run os x?
2: Why can the computer recognized the disk, yet when disk icon is clicked, nothing happens.

Look forward to your responses,
IMacUser

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
1: Can G3 imacs run os x?
2: Why can the computer recognized the disk, yet when disk icon is clicked, nothing happens.

1. Yes, they can.

2. Your iMac will read it, because any computer will recognize that a disc has been inserted. It won't install, because the disc is not intended for use with, nor can it be used with anything but the machine it came with.

If you want to install OS X on your iMac, then you will need to purchase a retail version of the OS that can be installed on any machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
You need the full retail version of OS X 10.4

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.