Problem with Finder

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" i7 Unibody, HK Speakers and a Wacom A5 Wide tablet
I had a recurring problem where quite often now when using Finder it will freeze for a moment and if I have any finder windows open they will close down and any icons on my desktop will disappear for a moment then reappear as if its being refreshed. This has now got to the point of a serious annoyance, as I have to keep on opening up the finder window to get to where I was before. I've tried repairing permissions and deleting the Finder .plist but still getting the same problem. I thought it was quicksilver causing a problem but it still occurs even when I deleted quicksilver. Has anyone had this problem it tends to happen every 10 minutes or so or mainly when I have the trash window open and I'm just about to empty trash.

PS. I also deleted path finder as well as it may have been conflicting with Finder. OSX is all up date running 10.4.9

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I had a recurring problem where quite often now when using Finder it will freeze for a moment and if I have any finder windows open they will close down and any icons on my desktop will disappear for a moment then reappear as if its being refreshed. This has now got to the point of a serious annoyance, as I have to keep on opening up the finder window to get to where I was before. I've tried repairing permissions and deleting the Finder .plist but still getting the same problem. I thought it was quicksilver causing a problem but it still occurs even when I deleted quicksilver. Has anyone had this problem it tends to happen every 10 minutes or so or mainly when I have the trash window open and I'm just about to empty trash.

PS. I also deleted path finder as well as it may have been conflicting with Finder. OSX is all up date running 10.4.9

Have you tried creating and logging in with a new user account and seeing if the problem persists?

OP
randomfactor
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have you tried creating and logging in with a new user account and seeing if the problem persists?

no i havent, I had a look on macfixit and found someone with the same problem http://www.macfixitforums.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=tiger&Number=807042&page=3&view=collapsed&sb=9&o=31&fpart=1. I don't really want to create another user account as all my stuff I use is all needed on my admin account.

I tried creating another account and the problem is still there. Any ideas?

OP
randomfactor
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
no i havent, I had a look on macfixit and found someone with the same problem http://www.macfixitforums.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=tiger&Number=807042&page=3&view=collapsed&sb=9&o=31&fpart=1. I don't really want to create another user account as all my stuff I use is all needed on my admin account.

I tried creating another account and the problem is still there. Any ideas?

I found out the problem, it is a error with Stuffit 11.0.2 contextual menu. I just replaced with a new one found on this website. It is known to cause finder to crash when upgrading stuffit to 11.0.2, http://support.smithmicro.com/techsupport/kb.cfg/php.exe/enduser/std_adp.php?p_sid=55hSNHwi&p_lva=&p_faqid=1738&p_created=1168045125&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9NzQzJnBfcGFnZT0x&p_li=

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.