Hide dock icons at startup?

Reaction score
Hi guys I'm new here but been a long time lurker and decided I should join as help seems vast and wide on these forums :)

If this the wrong section for my question, forgive me :)

Ok so I'm fairly new to Mac and I want to know if theres any program or way to stop certain Dock icons from popping up at Startup? I know how to use the Accounts>Hide feature but the dock icon still appears.

Is there anyway to basically make it startup without anything showing up? just running in the background?

Thanks Matt.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
did you go look? you hide the dock from within System Preference: Dock. That is how it is done and what you asked for, unless you want something else.

OP
G
Reaction score
No, thats not what I wanted :) I already have the dock hidden.

I mean I want to actually hide certain Icon's on the dock from coming up during startup. I want the Apps/Programs to be discrete. Startup in the background without any of the icons sitting in the dock while the program is active.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
To ensure that applications don't show in the Dock, you can use something like Dockless. Haven't used it myself but it seems to be what you're looking for.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Dockless is not a guaranteed solution, I've seen computers and apps get screwed up by it.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
What's the big deal about having applications show their icon on the dock? You felt they were important enough to start up with your computer, your other option is not to start them automatically and only when you need them..

Regards

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Dockless is not a guaranteed solution, I've seen computers and apps get screwed up by it.
Good to know. Thanks for the heads up.

OP
G
Reaction score
Yeah I just tried Dockless, my apps weren't happy after that.

No other solutions? :/

Reaction score
Yeah I just tried Dockless, my apps weren't happy after that.

No other solutions? :/

Click and hold on the icons in the Dock.

Lift vertically onto the desktop.

Let go...... Poof.

I think some system ones may not disappear, I'm not going to try it !

Also try

System Preferences

Accounts

My account, if a choice.

Login items

Hide any applications

Done

OP
G
Reaction score
Click and hold on the icons in the Dock.

Lift vertically onto the desktop.

Let go...... Poof.

I think some system ones may not disappear, I'm not going to try it !

Also try

System Preferences

Accounts

My account, if a choice.

Login items

Hide any applications

Done

Thanks but I've tried the hide applications, it hides it but the icon in the dock still appears which is what I don't want, I just want the program to run in the background and when I need to use it just use Spot Light or Finder to get to it.

My dock is rather fill and I use the majority of programs in it and it's rather frustrating when for example, Skype starts up with a icon when I just want it to run in the background at startup and it's not an extra space on the dock which I have to remove.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You mention that your dock is quite full - how many applications are you running at a time? Do you really need so many applications open at the same time?

OP
G
Reaction score
Sometimes 20-30 depending on the day and what needs to be done. As I said I use most of, if not all the icons in my dock, fully zoomed out, all day.

My Mac is my work.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Why not just hide the Dock? I know that's not what you're looking for but the solutions I found appear to do the same thing that Dockless does. Regardless, you can take a look at Dock Dodger but take note of the caveat they have.

OP
G
Reaction score
Same story as Dockless with Dock Dodger, guess it can't be done :/ Oh well will have to live with it. :)

Thanks for all the help guys!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.