Memory help

Reaction score
I know it might sound silly to some people here but Im still learning my way around macs.
I have a 40 GB ibook g4 in which I have over 4000 songs and a few hundreds pics. I do not want to erase neither of those files.
lately Im getting a message over and over again that says my startup disk is full and I need to make more space for the system to work properly.
What can I do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
What format are your songs in? AAC takes up less space than mp3, so you could convert them.

You could also run an application such as Monolingual and remove unwanted languages, some people save 2-3GBs.

Also, are there programs on your Mac that you dont use? You could uninstall them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
You have to get rid of files. Just get rid of what you do not need first. That's really all you can do.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
If you don't use garageband remove it and it stuff in the shared folder. That will free up a lot of space also.

Reaction score
you could just get an external hard drive and store all of your pictures and songs on there to free up space on your internal hard drive.

OP
T
Reaction score
Can Iupgrade to a bigger hard drive, say 160GB. So all my music, pictures would fit and there would be space left?
Thanks again

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook1.83GHzC2D 4GB Ram 320GB HDD DL Superdrive iMac C2D 2GHz 3GB Ram 1TB HDD DL Superdrive
You can upgrade to 250GB. It depends on which model iBook G4 you have. The earlier models could only access can only use about 120GB of the HDD capacity.

Check out ifixit.com for installation instructions.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.