Losing Hard Drive space rapidly

Reaction score
The last several days I've been getting the warning that my start up disk space is low. I can start the day with over 1 GB of memory and just after a couple of hours of doing small things (checking email, reading some web sites, etc.) the warning will appear and I only have 30 MB of memory left. Please advise as to what is going on and what I can do to fix my problem.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
First of all, hard drive space is not memory, it's disk space measured in gigabytes. The system needs space for virtual memory and temporary files is why you start out with 1 GB and decrease to 30 MB. With only the bare minimum of hard drive space left, your system also slows down considerably.

Your problem is easily resolved by either:

1. Cleaning out the hard drive of what's not needed and perhaps moving it to an external hard drive. Also run OnyX or Main Menu (both free).

2. Replace the original hard drive with a larger one.

Regards.

Reaction score
i actually have this problem , im losing hd space for no reason .
i do the "get info" on my mac hd and start out with 10g then its starts to descend with approximately 400mb at a time , with about 10-50 seconds between etch time it descends, and continues til i get the low hd space warning..

Reaction score
i actually have this problem , im losing hd space for no reason .
i do the "get info" on my mac hd and start out with 10g then its starts to descend with approximately 400mb at a time , with about 10-50 seconds between etch time it descends, and continues til i get the low hd space warning..

As chscag has said:

Mac OS X is using the hard drive.

Read what he has posted.

Reaction score
i did maybe i misunderstood , but i dont need to do anything to have this effect , and it seems ludacris for the mac to "need" 100gb of HD space for temp files and stuff. im constantly trashing stuff to keep its hungry mind happy , but its actually starting to remind me of a windows virus or somthing?

while im writing this my "your startup disk is almost full" popps up and just after i posted the last post i deleted 20gb of files . that just dosnt make any sence?

Reaction score
i had to restart i had 0kb available , as i said i had about 10-20 g after my little clean up about 5mins ago. i started up now and i got about 133mb on my hd ..

this is a problem and i hope someone can help me

Reaction score
i did maybe i misunderstood , but i dont need to do anything to have this effect , and it seems ludacris for the mac to "need" 100gb of HD space for temp files and stuff. im constantly trashing stuff to keep its hungry mind happy , but its actually starting to remind me of a windows virus or somthing?

while im writing this my "your startup disk is almost full" popps up and just after i posted the last post i deleted 20gb of files . that just dosnt make any sence?

The Trash takes up disk space. I suggest using Secure Empty Trash from the Finder menu.

Reaction score
im fairly new to mac and i cant say i found the secure empty trash function.
but i started the disc utility and started that first aid thingy came up wit allot of errors , and onyx smart program recommended full repair.. so i guess thats what ill have to do , ill post updates..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.