• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Family emergency - need to get a dial-up ASAP

E

Ex_PC_Puke

Looks like I'm heading to LA for a week or two to deal with a health crisis in the family - I'm taking a web based summer class plus I'll want to be able to send some email - of course at home I'm spoiled with DSL

I'll be on the powerbook -----

The obvious choices are Earthlink - NetZero - People PC ....

Need someone who has a lot of access numbers - works well on a mac - doesn't load a ton-o-crap on the system

any thoughts of whos best or who to avoid

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple iMAC Core Duo (20"/1gb/250/SD/BT/AP)
Earthlink is the best for the mac!!! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I think pretty much any one you choose shouldn't need to install extra software on your mac: The pb has an internal analog modem, and OS X has built-in dialup support...

I'd see if you can get something that is just call by call, so you aren't stuck with some sort of binding contract...
I'm in europe, so can't give you any direct recommendations I'm afraid.

Hope everything works out ok in L.A.!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.
maybe, but netzero is cheaper, peoplepc has a smart dialer, if you really dont wanna search for the number in your area. and earthlink is .. ok.. my sister has it on her pc, not exactly fast.. then again she has a pc and she has viruses and spyware.. im not including the antivirus protection stuff because macs dont get viruses! hurray!

summary:
netzero - cheap
peoplepc - smartdialer
earthlink - expensiveish

dont ask, i did alot of internet service provider comparing when i thought i was gonna get a PC when i moved out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
I really hate to say this, because I hate them with a passion, but you could just grab one of those free AOL disks and use that for a week.

Otherwise, Earthlink is the best if you are willing to pay, netzero is ok. I agree with everybody, expecially iWonder's list above...

OP
E

Ex_PC_Puke

Thanks all - I'll give PeoplePC a shot - they've got a 3 month package :spook:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.
oh, and remember:

CHOCOLATE IS BETTER IN COLOR!!!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Ex_PC_Puke said:
Thanks all - I'll give PeoplePC a shot - they've got a 3 month package :spook:

Does People PC support the Mac? I might be mixing them with someone else, but I was pretty sure they had no Mac support. You have to use their dialer that is for sure. If you had more time, there is a Dialup that is availble everywhere in calif that I like if I have to use Dialup called bigvalley.net. You use the normal OSX or Windows dialer and no software has to be installed.

Good luck and hope everything goes well for you in LA.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I know my broadband provider offers a certain number of dial-up hours to an 800# a month for free. You might want to check on that also...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
schweb said:
I know my broadband provider offers a certain number of dial-up hours to an 800# a month for free. You might want to check on that also...

SBC DSL does that also. They give you a dial up account with the DSL. There are numbers all over the country. I do not pay a cent extra for it either. Forgot all about that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
EarthLink owns PeoplePC, so they have the same exact pop numbers. PeoplePC does not support Macs, or at least it didn't when EarthLink canned us all last year. If all you need is a dial up for is a week or so, I would look into what local providers there are where you are going and see if they have any deals or low usage plans.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
if your service provider for dsl is verizon they provide a dial up service as well that comes with you dsl for traveling and such, call them up...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
PowerBookG4 said:
if your service provider for dsl is verizon they provide a dial up service as well that comes with you dsl for traveling and such, call them up...

Verizon offers MSN access which is not Mac compatible.

Do the free trial for AOL and then cancel. There's your free internet.

You ever try cancelling an AOL account?....hehe, good luck! :black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
i have verizon and i am able to use the dial up with out msn.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
PowerBookG4 said:
i have verizon and i am able to use the dial up with out msn.
Well, here they use MSN. It is different in each market, so I guess some would allow a simple dial-in, but they use MSN primarily. :black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple iMAC Core Duo (20"/1gb/250/SD/BT/AP)
Canceling an AOL account is like going to **** and back!!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.