When should I get a Macbook?

Reaction score
Ok, my laptop is way past old. Pentium M 1.6 Ghz, Single Core, 1GB RAM, nuf said. I want a power overdrive since my computer keeps freezing. I can't wait to send this thing to the grave. I'll be getting a Macbook this year but don't know when to get it. I'm thinking about getting one this summer after the 1st Macbook refresh. I wanted to wait till Quad-Core came to Macbooks but that may not happen for another year or 2. I currently just want a Dual Core Macbook at least with 2.6 Ghz, 4GB RAM and a longer lasting battery like the one in the 17in Macbook Pro. The technology will be in the Macbooks sometime this year, unless the new battery technology is too expensive to implement this soon. I don't need the power for gaming / graphics design, I just want a very stable laptop that doesn't freeze when watching HD content and when multi-tasking.

Something new is always coming along but I'm wondering if it makes sense waiting till October instead. I have a feeling the first Macbook refresh will be in April but I'm not sure if its specs will take full advantage of Snow Leopard's features and have the better battery, depending on when SL is released. I really want a battery that lasts a long time and 5 years is excellent. Is it likely that they'll bring the new battery tech by April or by October? Can anyone at least give me an educated guess?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
I didn't get to read your post because I already know the answer....NO one knows when new products are going to be released except Apple.

Get your computer whenever you feel like you need a new one

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15.4" 2.4g, 4gb Ram | iPod Touch 8GB
I didn't get to read your post because I already know the answer....NO one knows when new products are going to be released except Apple.

Get your computer whenever you feel like you need a new one

so many posts i read ask when someone should buy a new "insert item here" and the answers are usually "oh wait a month, something might be new and better".

Eric, this is one of the best answers i've seen here... good job!!!

livinitup...buy what you want when you want it, cuz no matter what you buy today, something new and improved is coming out tomorrow...you'll be waiting for forever to get something you'll use today.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Thanks detpenguin. I hate to sound mean or anything but that is the best advice to give. :)

OP
L
Reaction score
Hmm, yeah you guys are right. It sounded a bit rude at first but that is the best decision I can make really. I just know that I want a Macbook with at least a 2.6Ghz Processor and a new battery. The hard drives are so huge these days, 250GB is a lot of space.

USB 3.0 won't come until next year so I won't wait till then and SSDs are still too expensive to get now. I do want a faster processor, long battery life and Snow Leopard standard so I don't have to upgrade. I like everything that's in the current Macbook but I guess I'll wait and see what's in the 1st refresh Macbook. If it's everything I want then I'll buy one this summer. Thanks for the advice guys, now I won't keep waiting indefinitely.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz/4GB Ram/320GB HD
Buy something when you need it. Period.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.