Installing Tiger Over Leopard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13'', 320GB, 2.26GHZ, 2GB
hey guys and gals.

I was wondering. My Macbook came shipped with Leopard and at the minute its currently has the latest software update 10.5.7. I was wondernig if i could partition my Hard drive then install Tiger onto that Partition. then some how remove the Leopard partition leaving my Macbook with 1 partition (Tiger). This sounds pointless and confusing but i just want Tiger back, i used to have it on the Macbook before i got my new Macbook and it runs alot faster and looks better in my oppinion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
Hmm, I don't know. I think it's theoretically possible, however, couldn't you just put in a Tiger disk and downgrade?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I could be mistaken here (I am getting a little senile), but my old mind tells me that there were only two ways to get Tiger.

1. It came with all the Intel Macs at that time, and those disks are machine specific, so would not install on your new machine.

2. The retail version was PPC only, since all Intel machines shipped with their own disks. Which means the retail copy would not work either.

Am sure someone will come along and correct me if I'm wrong.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But if you bought a intel from say eBay, there must have been a way to upgrade to Tiger. There must have been a way to get a retail copy for intel. Hold on, I'm gonna try to put my Tiger disk in my MacBook and see what happens.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Turns out I can't put my finger on that disk right now. I'll try again later.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
But if you bought a intel from say eBay, there must have been a way to upgrade to Tiger. There must have been a way to get a retail copy for intel. Hold on, I'm gonna try to put my Tiger disk in my MacBook and see what happens.

There never was a retail version of Tiger for Intel Macs. Until Leopard came out, all Intel Macs shipped with Tiger, so making a retail version would have been pointless. You couldn't upgrade to Tiger because there never was an Intel version of Panther to upgrade from.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I could be mistaken here (I am getting a little senile), but my old mind tells me that there were only two ways to get Tiger.

1. It came with all the Intel Macs at that time, and those disks are machine specific, so would not install on your new machine.

2. The retail version was PPC only, since all Intel machines shipped with their own disks. Which means the retail copy would not work either.

Am sure someone will come along and correct me if I'm wrong.

Lifeisabeach already answered it but,

Bob, you are Spot on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
hey guys and gals.

I was wondering. My Macbook came shipped with Leopard and at the minute its currently has the latest software update 10.5.7. I was wondernig if i could partition my Hard drive then install Tiger onto that Partition. then some how remove the Leopard partition leaving my Macbook with 1 partition (Tiger). This sounds pointless and confusing but i just want Tiger back, i used to have it on the Macbook before i got my new Macbook and it runs alot faster and looks better in my oppinion.

Well with Snow Leopard coming soon... and being highly optimized over the regular Leopard... perhaps you'd be better off just waiting for that to hit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
As the Mac came with Leopard installed you cannot downgrade it to a previous point release of Leopard never mind Tiger. You cannot downgrade a Mac.
S.

OP
MichaelBamford
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13'', 320GB, 2.26GHZ, 2GB
ok thanks guys, ill just wait and see what snow leopard has for us

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white MacBook - 2.16GHz, 2GB RAM, 500GB HD iPhone Specs: white 3GS - 32GB
Hey guys, I'm in a similar situation: I have Leopard and would like to install Tiger as well in a different partition. I bought my Mac as a refurb a year ago. It came with Tiger installed, but immediately upgraded to Leopard with the Leopard disc that came with my purchase. My purchase also came with the Tiger discs, and would like to install that OS on a separate partition.

This Mac is my first Mac, and it was Leopard that made me switch. So I never experienced the Tiger days, and I really want to. I know that sounds kinda weird.
Oh, and I also already have a Boot Camp partition, that wouldn't interfere with this new partition at all, would it? What I want to have happen is, after I'd have started up my machine and hold down the option key, I want three choices for boot: Leopard, Tiger, and Windows.

So, any recommendations for how I should do this?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.