Are screen protectors necessary for the ipod touch?

Reaction score
I'm soon going to purchase an ipod touch, so I've been watching a lot of youtube videos concerning cases and screen protectors for them. But after seeing videos where people try their hardest to scratch the screen with anything from keys to razor blades and failing, I wonder if screen protectors are even needed. Do people only buy them if they are unaware of the screen's natural toughness? Or is there something I'm not seeing?

Also, does anyone know if screen protectors lower the sensitivity of the touch screen? Or if they are noticeable to touch?

Thanks,

Brad

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
I'm soon going to purchase an ipod touch, so I've been watching a lot of youtube videos concerning cases and screen protectors for them. But after seeing videos where people try their hardest to scratch the screen with anything from keys to razor blades and failing, I wonder if screen protectors are even needed. Do people only buy them if they are unaware of the screen's natural toughness? Or is there something I'm not seeing?

Also, does anyone know if screen protectors lower the sensitivity of the touch screen? Or if they are noticeable to touch?

Thanks,

Brad

Perhaps the videos you are watching are from after the screen protectors are in place ? They can and will scratch.

Clay

Reaction score
I have an iPod Touch that came with my MBP, and I would definitely recommend a screen protector. Anything can happen, especially if it's in your pocket or bag. If you're going the extra mile by purchasing a case for it, you might as well go 1 more step and purchase the screen protector.

OP
B
Reaction score
Ok, that makes sense. Any ideas on the other questions? Namely,

"Also, does anyone know if screen protectors lower the sensitivity of the touch screen? Or if they are noticeable to touch?"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
I like the power support anti-glare film...

a) it's anti-glare
b) less finger prints
c) some level of protection

This combined with my incase Slider case = well protected 3GS

Reaction score
I have an ipod touch, and I noticed that the screen is quite scratch resistant. The new iphone and ipod touch as a toughened glass screen that should not need protection... That's what Apple says. I have been using iFanatic's cases and I'm happy with them. I would not recommend getting something to protect the screen unless money is no issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Had my Touch for nearly 12 mths now and never had a screen protector on it since. Nothing wrong with the screen whats so ever.
I dont need it to look flash and all, and to top it off im a grub and use it like any iPod, throwing it into bags, in my pocket and sliding around on the car dash, and not one iota of a inckling of a scratch.
Biggest waste of money and gimmick if you ask me. Bought 3 for $25 used one and used the others on my coffee table to stop it scratching form my coffee .....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
I bought a screen protector from the Apple store. It was one they recommended. I didn't like it. Sensitivity was ok, but my finger dragged on it. It wasn't as smooth as the glass. If you decide to try on, get it from the Apple store. Here' why:

1. They will install it for you. If a spec of dirt or air bubble gets caught in it during the installation, they'll take care of it right away.

2. If, like me, you don't like it, you can return it. Just like Macs, the screen protector has a 14 day no questions asked return policy. You can return you used screen protector, and they will refund your money without a hassle. Just tell them you tried it and were dissatisfied with the way it felt.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.