Macbook Memory Upgrade in the UK

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 2.66Ghz Core 2 duo, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD, Geforce 9400m + 9600M GT (256mb)
Hey Everyone!

I started a thread a while back about upgrading my ram on my macbook to 2GB...

Well I went to crucial's website this morning and it seems they have dropped the prices :D

So..

Part No. CT541623 2GB kit (1GBx2), 200-pin SODIMM Upgrade for a Apple MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo (13-inch White) System

^^ Does that look like the right stuff? ^^

How much of a difference will going from 512mb to 2GB make?

I tend to use these apps the most...

iPhoto
Photoshop Elements 4.0
Neo-Office
Garageband
Firefox

----------------

iPhoto - I havent noticed it ever being that slow except perhaps when first loading the library, will this be improved or am i just impatient?

Photoshop Elements 4.0 - The load time is very slow and applying any filters etc is slow. I beleive it runs under rosetta so the extra ram will surely help?

Neo-Office - Seems ok to me, maybe a lil slow to start up thats about it.

Garageband - Is fine until i start playing back midi tracks with 6+ Tracks on. Usually when i go past 6, garageband will stop playing with an error complaining about buffer. This will be improved by more ram yes?

Firefox - Meh seems fine to me :D

--------------

Sorry for the long post but i like to make sure ive got all the info i can in one go for you :)

Thanks in advance for the help!!

~~ TS ~~

Reaction score
Hi TS,

Yep, it's true ... Crucial has dropped their prices. I'm not happy cos I paid double this, as have many others ... well, that's life.

That RAM is the same type your Mac uses so it's up to you to do the rest. You will notice a big difference with 2Gb compared to 512Mb ...

The MacBook uses one of the fastest memory technologies available today—667 MHz, double data rate (DDR2), synchronous dynamic random-access memory (SDRAM). It ensures high performance and reliability by synchronizing memory speed with the speed of the central processor so that data can be delivered continuously and more rapidly to the processor. And if both slots are loaded with an equal amount of RAM -- which is strongly recommended -- you can take advantage of the system's dual-channel memory architecture for an additional performance boost. With a dual-channel memory interface, both banks of SDRAM can be addressed at the same time, enabling MacBook to reach a memory throughput of up to 10.7 GBps.

Just FYI, did you know you can have more than one iPhoto Library?

If you hold Option while clicking on iPhoto in your Dock, you'll see a message asking which library you'd like to open, or if you would like to create on.

This is also true for iTunes, and is handy to know if your libraries are bustin' at the seams.

OP
TenderSurrender
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey Pulse :) (and welcome back)

My library itself isnt to big at the moment, It only contains about 800 photos yet still seems to take a fair time to start up :(

As far as im aware, to install the ram i just pop the battery out, remove the covers and slot it in (remove old ram first) just like any other ram ^_^

So thats definitly the right stuff and the comments ive made about all the other software is right yeh?

Cheers once again Pulse!

~~ TS ~~

Reaction score
NeoOffice is a lil' slow on my mac even though I've 2Gb RAM installed so that's a bit of a mystery and I've seen this mentioned before about NOffice.

I've read that non-native apps do run a bit slower on a MacBook but I'd imagine that going from 512Mb -> 2Gb will help.

I can't really comment on PS as I don't use it and as you say it's running under Rosetta so I can hazard a guess that it will be a bit quicker to launch but can't be definite, sorry TS.

GarageBand is notorious for struggling once you get to a certain amount of instruments/effects/tracks etc and there are optomising steps to take in Prefs but once again GB should benefit from the increased RAM ... hope this all helps you and that link is to your MacBooks RAM so it's fine.

It's easy to install as you've mentioned, just be sure you seat the RAM properly.

OP
TenderSurrender
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cheers Pulse!!

Ill wait a little while, see if anyone else can give an insight into the photoshop stuff but apart from that I think im ready to order!

Thanks once again!!

~~ TS ~~

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook black, Intel C2D 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB WD Scorpio HD
Hey Everyone!

I started a thread a while back about upgrading my ram on my macbook to 2GB...

Well I went to crucial's website this morning and it seems they have dropped the prices :D

So..

Part No. CT541623 2GB kit (1GBx2), 200-pin SODIMM Upgrade for a Apple MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo (13-inch White) System

^^ Does that look like the right stuff? ^^

Follow this thread, the one from newegg is still cheaper - http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60740

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook 2.0GHz CD | 2GB RAM | 80GB HDD | SuperDrive | iPod 3G 20GB
The price is actually going up a little bit now at Crucial's website. last week it was £70.49 now its £72.84

OP
TenderSurrender
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey Everyone

Whitenoisemaker - They may have gone up this week but compared to the original prices they have dropped quite a bit!

Ive just placed my order for a 2gb Set (2x1Gb) and they should arrive by the end of the week :D

~~ TS ~~

OP
TenderSurrender
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey!

Just wanted to bounce this thread to see if anyone else can give some feedback into the performance boost expected in rosetta apps (PSE 4.0 etc) when going from 512mb to 2Gb Ram

~~ TS ~~

Reaction score
i was wondering, if you upgrade RAM yourself with RAM from Newegg or Crucial or wherever, wouldn't you lose the warranty? :bomb:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac aluminium. 500GB, 4GB, 2Ghz and whatever else is in there...
That's irritating. I got 2GB Corsair Value Select about 3 weeks ago and it cost me £110 all in. Oh well, such is life.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.