rev a vram

D

daspoint

Hey out there, I just installed 4 meg of vram into my newly aquired rev A bondi --- also installed 256 M of ram into the extra ram slot. On the profiler ( OS 9.2.2 ) the ram shows up as 288 -- 32+ 256 -- this is good. The Vram however is not showing up --question : Will the Vram in Show up as a changed value in the profiler ..... change from 2 to 6M ?
Please let me know , thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
daspoint said:
Hey out there, I just installed 4 meg of vram into my newly aquired rev A bondi --- also installed 256 M of ram into the extra ram slot. On the profiler ( OS 9.2.2 ) the ram shows up as 288 -- 32+ 256 -- this is good. The Vram however is not showing up --question : Will the Vram in Show up as a changed value in the profiler ..... change from 2 to 6M ?
Please let me know , thanks.

I'll have to check in OS 9, but in Jaguar, the additional VRAM showed up on my G3 AIO. I'll check later and let you know.

OP
B

Badger

The VRAM should show up in System Profiler as one block of 6mgs. Did you push the cuda/reset button after you put in the VRAM?
Badger

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
Yes, I just checked in OS 9, and using System Profiler, under the "System Profile" tab, the Memory Overview section lists Video Memory as 6 MB.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook
It should show up as 6MB vram in system profiler. I just added RAM,VRAM and a Hard drive to an old 233 MHz rev. A imac a few weeks ago and it showed up right away. Like Badger stated, you have to remember to push that little reset button in order to use the new upgrade(s).

OP
J

Just A Muggle

Upgrades

Hey rberry88, What Brand & Type of Hard drive did you install in your old Rev A. iMac??? I need to install my 3rd hard drive on my old Rev.A iMac and was wondering if you had a reccomendation?? My current Maxtor Diamond Max 45GB 7200rpm drive is nearly dead in the water. Thanks.

rberry88 said:
It should show up as 6MB vram in system profiler. I just added RAM,VRAM and a Hard drive to an old 233 MHz rev. A imac a few weeks ago and it showed up right away. Like Badger stated, you have to remember to push that little reset button in order to use the new upgrade(s).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook
I installed a Seagate 80GB 7200rpm ATA100 hard drive in my Rev. A iMac. It's quieter and I find the Seagate hard drives don't run as hot for some reason as opposed to the Western Digital hard drive I tried first. With the WD drive in, the back top of the iMac would get extremely hot even though the fan was blowing like crazy. I put the Seagate HD in and it doesn't get near as hot.

OP
J

Just A Muggle

Thanks for the advice. Yesterday, I purchased a Seagate 160GB Ultra ATA/100 hard drive. I'm planning on installing it this weekend, maybe Sunday. Is there anything different on the Seagate Drive VS. the WD drive I should be aware of. Jumper pins different?? Different initialize procedure, that sort of thing?? I'd really appreciate any information to make it go smoothly. Thanks from a novice installer.

rberry88 said:
I installed a Seagate 80GB 7200rpm ATA100 hard drive in my Rev. A iMac. It's quieter and I find the Seagate hard drives don't run as hot for some reason as opposed to the Western Digital hard drive I tried first. With the WD drive in, the back top of the iMac would get extremely hot even though the fan was blowing like crazy. I put the Seagate HD in and it doesn't get near as hot.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.