New iTunes, OS 10.7, and iCloud

Reaction score
I've been reading through the press releases for the new Lion OS and how it will work with iTunes and am confused. I do not purchase my music through iTunes--my iTunes library is stocked mainly from my large CD collection and I also have a lot of my own mixes and mash-ups. The NYTimes said today that Apple will charge a $25 annual fee to store non-iStore purchased music in the iCloud. Am I forced to do this?

I have Macs and iPods, but no iPad or iPhone (yet, anyway), so synching isn't really an issue for me as long as all my home Macs can continue to share on my local network. I'm just not comfortable putting my custom mixes up on a remote server. Is Apple mandating a return to mainframes (er, sorry, going to make me use iCloud)? Will I therefore be stuck on Snow Leopard and iTunes 10.2.2 forever? What am I missing? Many thanks in advance for your thoughtful replies.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
The basic gist of it is this. If you choose to pay for iTunes Match there will be a tool that looks through your mp3's, finds matches in the Apple Store, then makes a 256kbps AAC version available to your devices on the cloud. I do not believe that it would make any sense to 'copy' anything to their storage as they already store these files in their iTunes servers. What would make far more sense is to simply put a pointer to these files on their servers. The other two options listed were a) do nothing, and sync manually and b) if you only have a few ripped songs, buy the few that you want available on the cloud

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Agreed. Nothing will be "forced" and you won't have to sync to their servers if you don't want to.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks for both of your replies--I get the concept much better now. I thought that there would be uploading to a server, but the matching makes more sense. Given that one can only match songs to those in the Apple Store database, it seems like I couldn't get custom mixed music in my iCloud even if I wanted to (which I don't, luckily). I'm happy as long as I have the option to continue to synch manually and not have to use the Apple Store.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Steve stated yesterday that if the music couldn't be matched then you would have to upload the song to the cloud to share the music among devoces.

Reaction score
If we do buy iTunes match, we don't get to replace the lower quality "rip" with the AAC right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, 3.4 GHz i7, 8 GB Ram, SSD + HDD, Radeon HD 6970M 2GB,
Reaction score
I think you do.

If so then it is extremely worth the cost. They make it sound as if you can upload for the match but it doesn't replace them, just on other devices you can pull down the AAC.

I guess we won't know until it gets here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If so then it is extremely worth the cost. They make it sound as if you can upload for the match but it doesn't replace them, just on other devices you can pull down the AAC.

I guess we won't know until it gets here.

Pretty much. Apple does say that the only music that won't get the bit rate upgrade is that which you have to upload since it's not in their catalogue (which makes sense).

C

chas_m

I found that WATCHING the keynote (at least that last third where Steve explains and demos the iCloud stuff) explains it FAR better than reading about it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.