Can You Use This Version Of XP In Boot Camp?

Reaction score
Hi,

I know you need Windows XP Pro with SP2 to install Boot Camp on Mac Pro... Question:

If I had an older Windows XP Pro version of software "without" the SP2 on it, can I install this XP version on Boot Camp and then update with the SP2 separate CD or download the update from Microsoft?

Thanks for the help in advance,

Clark

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Only one way to find out . . .

You can always delete it if it doesn't work out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
Or, you could try Slipstreaming - basically - you download SP2 then copy your XP CD to your hard drive and integrate the service pack with the XP CD - then you burn a new CD with the finished product - 1 shiney new XP SP2 CD - follow the link for full instructions.

Clicky

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
To add to what RNDdave already said, you must have a SP2 disc in order to use Boot Camp. If you attempt to use an SP1 disc, your keyboard won't work properly.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks people for the help. Final questions on this subject... In the slipstream tutorial it states some large corporate disks don't work because they have updates on them already.

If I bought a retail version (not OEM) of XP without the SP2 do you think slipstreaming would work or do you think the retail version would have updates like mentioned that would kill that type of install?

Also do Academic versions of XP with SP2 work in Boot Camp?

Thanks again for everyone helping,

Clark

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.