Aperture 3 or Photoshop CS5

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 13" MBP 2.3 Ghz Intel Core i5 4GB RAM
Hi guys!!! Just got my MBP yesterday and I'm loving it!!! Long Live Mac!!!

Anyway, I'm just wondering if you can help me out choose between Aperture 3 and CS5. I've used CS5 before and i find it kinda hard to go around. I'm just wondering if Aperture would be better than it. Also, in terms of photo editing which one has more features and say "user friendly"?

TIA guys! Hope you could help me out!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
They were two fundamentally different pieces of software. If you want editing, you need Photoshop. Aperture is more for managing libraries with some editing, but full editing would be done in Photoshop.

OP
johndope83
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
They were two fundamentally different pieces of software. If you want editing, you need Photoshop. Aperture is more for managing libraries with some editing, but full editing would be done in Photoshop.

Thanks for the quick reply! Sorry for being naive but can you compare aperture to lightroom then?

and also would you guys recommend GIMP?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
You should try a forum search for Aperture vs Lightroom, you'll find a ton of great info out there.

I don't care for Gimp, but a good Photoshop alternative is Pixelmator:
Pixelmator on the Mac App Store

C

chas_m

As Schweb correctly points out, Lightroom (and Aperture) are essentially the same program (in that they are primarily digital asset MANAGERS that feature SOME editing). They are aimed at professional photographers or serious hobbyists, usually with staggering numbers of pictures AND/OR who shoot huge amounts of the same thing (like model shots or food shots).

If you need to do only light editing to most pictures, then perhaps the offerings of Aperture/Lightroom will meet your needs. Both tend to work more as a COMPLEMENT to Photoshop than a replacement. Photoshop (the real thing, not Elements) is another tool aimed at professionals, it's WAY overkill for most consumers (and priced accordingly).

If you're a consumer-level shooter, then you might want to look at the excellent but more consumer-oriented Photoshop Elements for serious editing, alongside iPhoto for library management and minor tweaking.

Pixelmator (which I use every day now) is nice in many ways -- there's a lot of it I **REALLY** wish Adobe would pick up on -- but its primarily a toy IMHO. Too many things it can't do, but it does the basics really elegantly so I kinda like it (and the Mac App Store price is certainly right!), but I generally recommend PS Elements over Pixelmator unless you're quite web-oriented and only need a limited featureset.

OP
johndope83
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thaks for the replies guys... much more enlightened now thanks to you!!! Cheers!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.