Garage Band 2 and Multi-Track recording

C

cqmurphy

so i am totally stoked that you can record two or more tracks simultaneously with GB2. i use it mostly for demos to teach songs to my band or to do tweaking before i get to the REAL studio. so here's the thing:

i would like to upgrade from the M-Audio Ozone so that I can record better drum tracks, record my band's rehearsals with everthing mic'ed, etc., soooo...

- is the M-Audio Firewire 410 (available at sweetwater for $299US) compatible with GB2?
- can i really record 4 tracks at once with that setup?
- will i need a RAM upgrade (currently at 512MB) to do it at all, let alone well?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
I don't know about the first 2 but 512 ram is not nearly enough to do multitracks in GB which is an incredibly system heavy program

OP
X

xthisisRomancex

No this M-audio forewire 410 will not work for multitrack recording (according to the description) "" Its 4-in/10-out configuration is perfect for personal recording where you build up tracks one at a time yet need multiple outputs"" what you would be looking for is a firewire interface with multiple channels i done a small search and i pulled the Edirol FA-101-firewire it is a little overkill as it has 10 channels or http://www.podcastingnews.com/items/Alesis/ALEIO2.htm this has 2 channels.

they do not differ to much in price so IMHo i would get the ten channel
interface because u can expand.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
cqmurphy said:
- will i need a RAM upgrade (currently at 512MB) to do it at all, let alone well?

You can "get by" with 512 MB, I did for quite some time. It is a PITA though. I recently upped to 1 GB of RAM and it runs much smoother now.
You would want at least 1 GB of RAM, possibly 2 GB if your machine can take it. If you use GarageBand extensively, it will be money well spent.

OP
C

cqmurphy

has anyone here actually done any serious recording with GB2 yet? i.e. recording 5 or 6 tracks at once?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.