Must use Internet Explore browser on Mac 10.5 OSX

Reaction score
For one of my classes I have to use MRI Plus it is a marketing program. and you can ONLY view the data on Internet explore, not even fire fox.
So i have downloaded IE 5.2 for mac and it is really old and outdated I can't even save and navigate on it properly.
My question is What is the best version of IE that works on Macs? and where can you get it?
I don't have boot camp installed so that option of using it is ruled out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
I don't know what the current version is for mac, but you might want to check out Wine for Darwin. I don't know how up to date the wine for darwin is compared to regular wine, but evidently IE7 will work in wine.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
MS quit working in IE for the Mac years ago. The above suggestion if IE7 will work in Darwin is your cheapest option. Next option is going to be to install one of the multiple variations of Windows. Getting to where it's got as many as Linux does nowadays.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If you're a student, you may qualify for Microsoft's DreamSpark program. Through DreamSpark, MS gives software to students for free, including Windows Server 2003 and Windows Server 2008 Standard. If you download those, you can install them either through Boot Camp or virtualize it. Therefore, you can get Windows for free (assuming again you're a qualified student - see the site for more info) and run IE and other MS software to your heart's content.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
For one of my classes I have to use MRI Plus it is a marketing program. and you can ONLY view the data on Internet explore, not even fire fox.
So i have downloaded IE 5.2 for mac and it is really old and outdated I can't even save and navigate on it properly.
My question is What is the best version of IE that works on Macs? and where can you get it?
I don't have boot camp installed so that option of using it is ruled out.

Both Firefox and Opera can emulate IE, in other words, make the website think you're actually accessing it from IE. It may be possible to try and view the data that way. I'm not certain if the IE emulator is only for the Windows version of Firefox and Opera. You'll need to do some research to find out.

Regards.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Both Firefox and Opera can emulate IE, in other words, make the website think you're actually accessing it from IE. It may be possible to try and view the data that way. I'm not certain if the IE emulator is only for the Windows version of Firefox and Opera. You'll need to do some research to find out.

Regards.
While these browsers may be able to spoof their user agent string, this will be useless if the site utilizes ActiveX. My guess is that if it needs IE specifically, it has some element of ActiveX.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook C2D 2.2Ghz and 2 G4 550Mhz Pismos
MS stopped making IE for macs a few years back, before the days of Intel processors, even, I think. The last build for Mac that I'm aware of is 5.2 and, as you said, it doesn't display properly at all anymore.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.