External Speakers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac G5, iBook, 60gb iPod Photo, iPod mini and two shuffles
I have just come to connect up my Harman Kardon Soundsticks to my iMac and firstly the audio plug doesnt fit into the rear of the mac properly, it needs to be held in position and secondly when I look in the System Preferences under sound I get the message 'The selected device has no output controls'.

Any ideas on how to get these working?

I have been using them with an iPod and they work fine but they just dont seem to want to work with a desktop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
The connector on the iMac G5 is a little strange: you might need to buy an extension cord with a smaller end to get it in there correctly.

But once it's connected, you can simply adjust the audio by using the silver touch sensitive buttons on the left speaker.

Make sure you're plugging them into the headphone port, not the line in too.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I figured it may be something like that so I bought a belkin extension, it fits snugly into the inlaws iMac so fingers crossed it will with mine when I get home.

I guess the correct socket is the lower of the two with the little headphone image on it however why does it say optical out?

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I solved it.

Some idiot who fitted the ram (me), didnt get the back on snugly so it wasnt allowing the plug all the way in.

Its working great now and Im sure there is a lesson in this somewhere.

Thanks for the help

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.