Grammar in Pages

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac OS X 10.11.5; iPad2 (8.1.2-12B440); New iPad; MS-Office for Mac 2011 (14.5.5)
I have two Pages documents I work with at the same time, one in English and one in German.
When I set the language (for spelling checks) it applies the same language for both documents, even if one document is not open.
How can one set the language individually for each doc?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How can the spelling check be applied to a document if it's closed? Not sure I understand what you mean there?

You have to work on the documents separately because the language you choose in OS X is applied to all documents. In other words, if you wish to work on two documents but the languages are different, you'll have to close one of them, set the language you wish, check spelling and grammar for the open document.

Last edited:
OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac OS X 10.11.5; iPad2 (8.1.2-12B440); New iPad; MS-Office for Mac 2011 (14.5.5)
But the language is applied also to the closed document! It does not do any spelling check in the closed document, but the language is back to the one that is open.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
But the language is applied also to the closed document! It does not do any spelling check in the closed document, but the language is back to the one that is open.

Are you saying that the language on the closed document is changed to the language that you set on the open document?

If the above is true, I've never seen that before and I use several languages on documents that we create. However, I don't use Pages for those documents, instead I use Microsoft Mac Word 2011. Since the language is set by the system not Pages, I don't know why that would be happening to you.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
One example more that Pages and Numbers are not as good as their counterparts from our friend Bill Gates!
As much as I like the rest of the Mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.