How on earth do I configure a VPN server and get it working?

Reaction score
Could someone explain to me how exactly I need to go about configuring a VPN server with OS X Lion? The people on the official Apple forums are absolutely unhelpful, just don't respond to the thread. Essentially I need to access files on the go for my business but cannot use services like DropBox, etc. due to sensitive information.

I'm running OS X Lion 10.7.3 w/ Lion Server, and my router is the Linksys WRT54GS. My internet connection is just a home Comcast connection with a static IP and no fancy firewalls or restrictions or anything like that.

Thus far I've spent hours between researching online and attempting to configure and connect, but to no avail. I've tried forwarding the correct ports in the router and have additionally tried every combination of VPN settings I can think of. I just cannot figure this out!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.