What's the cheapest route to go on getting a new Macbook?

Reaction score
My brother is graduating High school and wants a Macbook for college, parents are giving him $1200 which can get you on the low end of the Macbooks and Airs so I want to help on getting him the best bang for the buck. I didn't go the Apple way on my college computer so don't know the best way to get one.

My parents just want to go to Best Buy where they are $70 cheaper but that get's eaten up by sales tax immediately. Isn't the best way to buy from the Apple Store directly with the education site? Does the discount extend to refurbished? Would the discount apply to the old Ivy Macbooks once the new Haswell Macbooks roll out? I'm trying to get him to wait on the refresh but so far he won't listen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Seriously consider a refurb, if it gets you a bigger discount than the education discount

You cannot have ed discount on a refurb tho

And with the Macbook airs, you cannot upgrade the RAM, so keep looking on the refurb store to see if an 8 gig model appears

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I second the refurb store option. You can get a bigger bang for your buck there..

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My brother is graduating High school and wants a Macbook for college...

FYI (just for technical accuracy)...Apple no longer sells "MacBooks"...just MacBook Pro's. The MacBook line was discontinued February, 2012. And since currently there are both "MacBook Pro's" AND "MacBook Air's"...just saying "MacBook" leaves room for confusion.;)

Generally the two cheapest routes are (factoring in that your brother will be a student):

- purchase a refurbished unit from the Apple online Store
- have your brother check out MacBook Pro prices at his schools :computer store"...since these are generally discounted a bit.

If you're lucky...maybe you can "double-dip"...and get a refurbished unit from the Apple Store AND be able to apply a student discount (got to call to see)

Good Luck,:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.