Dropping Wifi

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I have an iPad2 32GB wifi with a smartcover and have noticed a weird problem. I've noticed that when I turn off the iPad and shut the it with the smart cover that I drop my wifi connection when I restart it. However, if I just leave the cover open and turn off the iPad manually that I don't have any problems staying connected the next time I start using it again. I've looked online and see that some people trying toggling with the brightness and I've even tried turning off the iPad cover lock/unlock option. Neither of those have worked.

I talked with Apple today and they said they have never noticed this problem and suggested I start messing with router. Before I go down that messy route, has anyone else had this problem? Any good solutions I said from chucking the smartcover?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
What security do you have on your router? Are you broadcasting your ssid?

I have a smart cover and my iPad connects every time to multiple networks - with multiple security options.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I have the iPad2 WiFi only and use a smart cover and use it almost exclusively to sleep and wake the device and I've had no problems getting reconnected to my WiFi router each time. I have a Linksys WRT54GS, have the SSID being broadcasted and use WEP security..

Regards

OP
F
Reaction score
Sorry I didn't see that people have replied.

Router: Linksys WRT160N router
Firmware: WRT160Nv2 (which I updated recently)
Security: WPA2

Update- My brother in law was using his iPad without any difficulty and he does not have a smartcover. I've taken my ipad to other places and logged on with no problem. I've talked with Apple and they switched out the iPad unit and I'm still having the problem.

Any advice?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
WPA2 is good - but what about your SSID? Is it being broadcast or not? Are you doing Mac filtering? Anything of that nature?

C

chas_m

Here's another suggestion: power it down. Most people, I find, rarely or never do this with their iPad. Actually turn it completely off, then power it up again. See if it behaves better after that.

OP
F
Reaction score
Yes, I am broadcasting the SSID.

I'm not sure what Mac filtering is so I'll assume I'm not doing it unless it's a default:)

I've tried powering down both devices.

OP
F
Reaction score
Scratch the smart cover factor. It's doing it without the cover as well.

It's so weird because I'm looking at the iPad right now and my network is checked under the "Wi-Fi Networks" tab but it's very clearly not connected to the internet. I have to toggle the Wi-Fi "on/off" for it to reconnect. As soon as I do that, it goes right back to working!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac G5(Mine) and Wife's Imac intel,(new)
Wifi minor issue here, Ipad 2

Today out of the blue, or should I say wifi world, I lost my home wifi on my 1pad 2 wife only, it lost the security code for the modem. I just put it back in and it worked, so I tough it might be a problem with the modem, but the other computers on line were not effected.
Not a big problem right now, but, but, who knows what tomorrow will bring.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 13", 1 GB RAM, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.1GHz,iPod Classic 30GB, iPad 2 WiFi 32GB
Hello guys, I have observed a similar situation of dropping wifi. Strange thing is that if I am using my MacBook the signals does not drop, but on an iPad signal fluctuates. What may be the possible reason, any clues ?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.