OS X Snow Leopard install issues

Reaction score
Hello,

I have an issue regarding installation of Snow Leopard on my '07 iMac. Originally I ordered an install DVD from Amz and upon putting in the drive, all the dialogs showed up in Cyrillic (Russian) even though I had ordered the US English version.

After returning that DVD, I ordered Snow Leopard directly from Apple. I put in the DVD and the menus were in English but the License Agreement was in Russian (with no language change option) and the Customize software window was in Russian as well. So I tried booting up from the install disk and it was in English, fortunately. I am still hesitant to install Snow Leopard after this peculiar occurrence. Can anybody help?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
You live in the USA? I have never heard of this before and with 2 DVD's not sure what to say. Maybe someone else here will have ran into your issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Sounds like the machine thinks it is in Russia during the install. I am not aware of a russian version of the install disk, since all disks come with all languages and the installer will try and select the correct language from your location, derived from your current ip address

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for your responses. I am in the US so I don't understand why Apple would send me software in Russian. So how would I change language preferences within the installer or my computer itself?

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
We've seen this before. Check your System Preferences, Language & Region. Check the setting here closely to make sure your time zone and all other settings correspond to the US.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.